Carlos Beltran hasn’t been shy about answering trade questions as he perhaps enters his final weeks with the Mets. After indicating last week that he’d be open to a trade to San Francisco, he came out Monday and said Boston is on his list as well.
“They’re in first place,” he said. “That’s a no-brainer.”
The Red Sox have stuck with the struggling J.D. Drew in right field, even though he’s driven in just 21 runs in 73 games. They might be open to making a change if the right opportunity comes along. Still, there’s nothing to suggest they’ve engaged the Mets in talks regardling Beltran. Not only would the $6 million left on his deal be an obstacle, but such an acquisition could also have luxury-tax ramifications for a Boston team that’s been straddling the line.
Beltran, because he’s spent 10 years in the league and the last five with the same team, has full no-trade protection.
Thursday is September 1, which means rosters expand. As a result, the Nationals plan to promote pitcher Mat Latos to the major league roster, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Latos had an opt-out clause for Monday, but after discussing the matter with the team, he agreed to stay at Triple-A Syracuse until Thursday.
Latos, 28, put up a 4.62 ERA over 11 starts with the White Sox before being released in mid-June. Nearly two weeks later, he signed a minor league contract with the Nationals.
In the Nationals’ minor league system, Latos has made three starts for the club’s Gulf Coast League team as well as three for Syracuse. In aggregate, the right-hander has yielded six runs (four earned) on 20 hits and 10 walks with 28 strikeouts in 28 innings.
Latos will likely pitch out of a long relief role for the Nationals and can be used as starting rotation insurance as well.
Mark Buehrle hasn’t officially retired, but he hasn’t thrown a pitch in professional baseball since last October. Still, the Blue Jays wouldn’t mind having some insurance, so manager John Gibbons recently texted Buehrle, “You know, rosters expand in September,” Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports.
Buehrle’s response? He texted back a picture of a lake. Sounds like he’s not interested in making a return, at least this year.
Last year, at the age of 36, Buehrle went 15-8 with a 3.81 ERA with a 91/33 K/BB ratio in 198 2/3 innings while leading the league with four complete games. He fell 1 1/3 innings shy of a 15th consecutive 200-inning season. There are many worse ways to end a career.