X-rays negative on Reynolds, Guerrero; Showalter wants Lackey punished

36 Comments

Fortunately, there will be no lasting damage to the Orioles after two more HBPs from the Red Sox on Sunday.

Initial X-rays on the hands of Mark Reynolds and Vladimir Guerrero were negative after both were hit by Boston right-hander Kyle Weiland in Boston’s 8-6 win over the Orioles on Sunday.

“So far, so good,” manager Buck Showalter told MLB.com. “We will keep an ear out the next couple days and see if they progressively get better to tell you that nothing else is going on there. … We may have dodged a bullet. But for Vlady to come out of a ballgame, he’s pretty sore.”

It sounds like both Reynolds and Vlad should be ready to play when the second half starts on Thursday.  Showalter, though, isn’t completely content with the way things ended up Sunday.  He didn’t feel that either of Weiland’s HBPs today were intentional, but he did think that John Lackey drilled Derrek Lee on purpose Saturday.

“I know the umpires are trying, I just wish they would have issued the warnings before the game started,” Showalter said, “because Lackey should have been thrown out of the game for hitting Lee. That was intentional as it gets. [It will] be interesting to see if they hand down any punishment for Lackey.”

Report: Red Sox, Yankees have contacted Marlins about Martin Prado

Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

With just over a month to go before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, trade rumors are beginning to crop up. According to Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports, the Red Sox and Yankees have each reached out to the Marlins about infielder Martin Prado.

The Marlins enter play Wednesday 35-40 and in third place in the NL East. They are expected to continue to sell after trading shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria to the Rays. However, as the club itself is in the middle of rumors with a handful of prospective new owners, major pieces like Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich probably won’t be moved until that is settled.

Prado, 33, is hitting .277/.299/.398 with two home runs and nine RBI in 87 plate appearances. He has played in only 21 games due to calf and hamstring injuries. When he’s healthy, though, he is typically productive and he can play all four infield positions as well as the outfield corners. Prado is under contract for the next two seasons as well, at $13.5 million and $15 million.

With either the Red Sox or Yankees, Prado would likely assume third base. The Red Sox have gotten a major league-worst .562 out of its third basemen while the Yankees have gotten a .678 OPS, 24th out of 30 teams.

Carl Edwards, Jr.’s reason for skipping the Cubs’ visit to the White House is… interesting

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
16 Comments

The Cubs oddly made an extra visit to the White House on Tuesday. After winning the World Series, the team visited then-President Barack Obama — a Chicago sports fan — in January before he left office. But they went back today for an “informal” visit with President Trump.

The Cubs, however, have ties to the Republican party and to Trump. The Ricketts family are Republican donors and Cubs owner Tom’s brother Todd was Trump’s nominee for deputy secretary of commerce. Manager Joe Maddon is also longtime friends with Lou Barletta, the Republican representative from Hazleton, PA.

Some players chose not to join their Cubs teammates for a trip to the White House. 10 players, to be exact, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. None of those players declining to go offered a political reason, understandably so. But reliever Carl Edwards, Jr.’s excuse made a lot of sense. He said, “I’m trying to go see like the dinosaur museums.” Indeed, Edwards could have spent the afternoon at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.

Other players declining to visit the White House included Jake Arrieta, Hector Rondon, Jason Heyward, Pedro Strop, Justin Grimm, and Addison Russell.