Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter went 5-for-5 on Saturday at Yankee Stadium in an afternoon that won’t soon be forgotten by fans of baseball. He reached then quickly surpassed the 3,000-hit milestone, doing it in storybook fashion as the Yankees captured a 5-4 victory over the Rays.
Let’s swing it around the web for reaction to Jeter’s feat from those who know him best:
- Current teammate Alex Rodriguez, via the New York Post: “Days like today remind you of the icon that this guy is. I’ve said it all along, 3,000 hits in a Yankee uniform for me, is like getting straight A’s at Harvard. He’s been a great student.”
- Former teammate Bernie Williams, in a statement to MLB.com: “Congratulations, Jeet, on No. 3,000. … Just exhale, enjoy it, and know what an honor it was to be your teammate for so many years. Tonight, my last song is dedicated to you my friend.”
- Part owner of the Yankees, Hal Steinbrenner, via USA Today: “Today we celebrate a remarkable individual achievement by one of the game’s greatest ambassadors. On behalf of the entire New York Yankees family, we congratulate Derek on his historic accomplishment.”
- Yankees legend Yogi Berra, from ESPN New York: “I want to give him a big hug. It’s an absolute wonderful accomplishment.”
- Former manager Joe Torre, via the New York Post: “We’ve been around him and watched him so long that nothing he does should surprise anybody. He’s always been a guy who was able to rise to the occasion. And . . . you know this is not an easy city to play in.”
- Rap mogul and friend Jay-Z, from Forbes.com: “That’s Derek Jeter for you. He’s just a winner. … He’s a great Yankee, definitely the top tier.”
- Red Sox skipper Terry Francona, from SI.com: “I’ve seen him since the Fall League when I think he was 19 years old. He’s still the same kid. A little different haircut, but always plays the game right. He always treats people right and he tries to beat your brains out. That’s a good way to go about things.”
Finally, I’d implore you to read Joe Posnanski’s take on Saturday afternoon’s events over at Sports Illustrated. As with most things Posnanski writes, it’s a masterpiece. “On Saturday, he played young again.”
The Cleveland Indians just announced that they’ve acquired catcher Chris Gimenez from the Texas Rangers in exchange for cash considerations.
Gimenez knows his way to Progressive Field. Indeed, this will be his third stint with the Indians organization. He was their 19th round pick in the 2004 draft, made his big league debut with the club in 2009 and stayed through the 2010 season. He came back in 2014 for eight games, now he’s back again. He has yet to play in 2016 due to a ankle issue. He as doing minor league rehab before being DFA’d by the Rangers yesterday.
Come back to Cleveland, Chris. You always will have a home in Cleveland.
Last year the Dodgers suspended infielder Erisbel Arruebarrena for the remainder of the season“for repeated failures to comply with his contract.” Arreubarrena appealed his suspension to Major League Baseball and it was reduced to thirty days, though that was said to be a settlement between Arruebarrena and the Dodgers as opposed to a full adjudication.
Here we go again: Gabe Kapler, the Dodgers Director of Player Development, just announced that the Dodgers have suspended Arruebarrena for the rest of 2016 “for repeated failure to comply with the terms of his contract.” No further specifics were given.
Arruebarrena was signed out of Cuba to to a five-year, $25 million deal back in 2013. He played in 22 games in the bigs in 2014, hitting .195. He was dropped from the 40-man roster after that season, however, and after his suspension last year managed to only play in 53 games across three levels. He hit better, but none of his action was above Double-A and he was 25 at the time. He’s played 17 games at Double-A this year and isn’t hitting.
What he was or was not doing with respect to his contract is unclear at the moment, but this isn’t exactly the kind of thing that happens on a daily basis, especially with dudes under contract for $25 million, so we’ll probably hear more eventually.
NEW YORK (AP) Braves right fielder Nick Markakis has left the team because of a family emergency.
Manager Fredi Gonzalez said before Wednesday’s game against the Mets that Markakis had headed home to Maryland. The veteran is expected to be back in time for Friday’s home game against Arizona. Atlanta is off Thursday.
Chase d’Arnaud is starting in right field and Mallex Smith is leading off Wednesday.
Markakis is hitting .281 with no home runs and 20 RBIs.
T.J. Quinn of ESPN’s Outside the Lines reports that another major leaguer — or possibly several of them — will soon be suspended for PEDs. He says that, as was the case with Chris Colabello and others recently, the drug will be Turinabol, which is an old school anabolic steroid. Quinn says that improved testing procedures, which he details in the article, are a likely reason for the spike in Turinabol positives, though it’s also possible that there is a tainted supplement being taken, though he deems that speculative.
What isn’t mentioned is . . . how an ESPN reporter knows a positive test is coming when the drug testing program is supposed to be confidential. Someone with the league or the union must be telling him, right? That’s sort of messed up, no? Will MLB investigate who is leaking such things?
Whatever the case, we’ll soon have a new police blotter item, it seems.