9:20 p.m. EDT: Beckett was removed with the Red Sox are calling a mildly hyperextended left knee. The team said it was a precaution and that he’s listed as day-to-day.
Common sense would dictate that he’ll be scratched from the All-Star Game, even though it looks like he’ll be ready to pitch after the break.
Red Sox All-Star right-hander Josh Beckett left his start Friday against the Orioles after five innings with an apparent leg injury.
Beckett, who opened the game with four scoreless innings, appeared to slip on the mound while delivering a pitch in the fifth. The trainer came out to look at him, but all Beckett asked for at the time was for a little work to be done on the mound.
Beckett got his wish, but he struggled over the rest of the inning. Having already allowed a homer to Derrek Lee, he went on to walk two batters and give up two RBI singles before striking out Vladimir Guerrero to end the frame.
After the inning, Beckett walked into the tunnel with the trainer and a Red Sox team doctor and never came back out. Matt Albers replaced him in the sixth with Boston up 8-3.
Beckett didn’t appear to be walking with a significant limp, so hopefully this is just a minor injury for him. Still, it’s more distressing news for the Red Sox, who just lost a third starter to the DL when Jon Lester suffered a strained lat muscle Tuesday.
Free agent right-hander Tim Lincecum isn’t ready to hang up his cleats just yet. At least, that’s the word from Lincecum’s agent, Rick Thurman, who says the 32-year-old is still “throwing and getting ready for the season” (via Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News).
Lincecum may not be ready to enter retirement, but another quote from Thurman suggests that he’ll be picky about where he pitches next. He doesn’t appear open to pitching overseas, and despite not having a contract for 2017 (or even any serious suitors), the right-hander is set on pitching in the big leagues this year. Whether or not he’s willing to take a bullpen role to do so remains to be seen.
While Baggarly predicts some interest in the veteran righty, there’s not much in Lincecum’s recent history to inspire faith in him as a starter, or even a reliever. He picked up a one-year, $2.5 million contract with the Angels following his hip surgery in 2015, and went 2-6 in 2016 with a 9.16 ERA, 5.4 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 over 38 1/3 innings. At this point, a minor league contract seems like the surest path back to major league success, though he’s unlikely to find an open spot on the Giants’ or Angels’ rosters anytime soon.
Free agent right-hander Jeff Manship has reportedly signed with the NC Dinos of the Korea Baseball Organization, according to FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman. The righty was non-tendered by the Indians in December.
Manship, 32, completed his second season with Cleveland in 2016. He delivered a 3.12 ERA, 4.6 BB/9 and 7.5 SO/9 rate over 43 1/3 innings, a slight decline after posting an 0.92 ERA with the club the year before. During eight years in the major leagues, Manship carries a 4.82 career ERA, 3.6 BB/9 and 6.4 SO/9 in multiple stints with the Twins, Rockies, Phillies and Indians.
The right-hander will be joined by fellow MLB transplants Eric Hacker and Xavier Scruggs, each of whom took one-year deals with the Dinos last month. Steve Adams of MLB Trade Rumors notes that each KBO team is allowed up to three foreign players, so Manship will round out the trio when he joins the roster. Any salary terms have yet to be disclosed.