Phillies outfielder Shane Victorino left the Phillies in Florida on Tuesday to have his sore right thumb examined by a hand specialist back in Philadelphia.
The results are in.
According to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Victorino was diagnosed Tuesday evening with a Grade 1 sprain of his right thumb. The Phillies are considering placing him on the 15-day disabled list but won’t make anything official for at least another 24 hours. They want to see if the situation improves after Victorino takes a day or two of rest.
Here’s Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, speaking Tuesday to CSNPhilly.com:
“Will he miss some time? Probably. How much? I don’t know. I don’t think it’s going to be a whole lot. I say that sometimes and the guy goes from two weeks to six months. We’ll see.
I know his hand is swollen up. He has a jammed thumb. He can’t grip the ball. And it’s hard to grip the bat. They wanted to run some tests and see if something was wrong with it.”
“The Flyin’ Hawaiian” jammed his thumb Sunday while chasing after a fly ball. He’s batting .303/.376/.524 with nine home runs and 34 RBI in 302 plate appearances, and also has 13 stolen bases in 15 attempts.
John Mayberry was recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to provide outfield depth in Victorino’s absence.
Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.
That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.
Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.