Carl Crawford ran the bases today

8 Comments

The timetable for Carl Crawford’s return is still up in the air, but he continues to make progress in his rehab from a hamstring injury.

Crawford was able to run the bases this afternoon for the first time since being placed on the disabled list last month, according to Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com. More specifically, he ran from first base to second and from first to third. He was also able to take batting practice.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona hasn’t dismissed the possibility that Crawford could be back before the All-Star break, but said that he won’t rush him back just to play one game.

“If he’s ready on Sunday, we would probably wait,” Francona said. “If he’s ready before that, (general manager) Theo (Epstein) and I need to sit down and talk to Carl, which we will do. If you’re going to play one game when you’re supposed to have another four days (off) you’ll take the four days.”

Crawford is hitting .243/.275/.384 with six homers, 31 RBI, eight stolen bases and a .659 OPS over his first 277 plate appearances this season.

The Tigers decline Anibal Sanchez’s 2018 option

Getty Images
Leave a comment

From the “this does not surprise us in the very least” department, Tigers GM Al Avila announced today that the club is declining its $16 million option on right-hander Anibal Sanchez.

Sanchez had a terrible year in 2017, going 3-7 with a 6.41 ERA in 2017. That’s a long slide down from his 2013 season, in which he won the AL ERA title, going 14-8 and posting an ERA of 2.57 in the first year of his five-year, $80 million deal. Since then he’s gone 28-35 with a 5.15 ERA. He never started 30 games or more over the course of the contract.

The declination of the option does come with a nice parting gift for Sanchez: a $5 million buyout. Which is pretty dang high for a buyout, but that’s how the Tigers rolled three or four years ago.