Cubs manager Mike Quade is in over his head

6 Comments

At least he sort of admitted after the Cubs’ latest loss Friday.

“This one is on me,” Mike Quade said after trying to get Randy Wells through the seventh inning in the game against the White Sox.

In Quade’s defense, Wells was cruising up until that point.  After a two-run first, he retired 11 in a row at one point.  That stretch was only broken by a Brent Morel bunt single to begin the sixth.  After the single, Wells got Carlos Quentin to ground into a double play and Paul Konerko to ground out.  The entire inning consisted of just three pitches, and that followed a fifth in which he threw all of five pitches.

Wells, though, didn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt once thngs started unraveling in the seventh.  The right-hander, who was 0-2 with a 7.20 ERA in six starts since coming off the DL, gave up a single to A.J. Pierzynski and then an Alexei Ramirez homer that tied the game at 4.

The obvious move was to pull him then, but Quade left him in.  Alex Rios singled before Gordon Beckham grounded to third for the first out of the frame.  After that, pinch-hitter Adam Dunn walked and Juan Pierre delivered a two-run triple, giving the White Sox a 6-4 lead that would stand up for the rest of the game.

This is the way things have gone for Quade all year.  Not that any manager would have the Cubs playing better than .500 ball, but even with their injuries, they’re better than a 34-49 team.  They’re getting solid production out of every spot in the lineup, and while the bottom of the rotation has been a disaster, the top three guys have been just fine the last two months.

Quade is getting outmanaged at practically every opportunity, and it’s time for him to go.  I’m not sure bench coach Pat Listach is any better of a choice to step in — he’s the one in Quade’s ear when the tactical choices are being made — but he would be the likely choice to take over on an interim basis.  The Cubs need to wipe the slate clean anyway, and when GM Jim Hendry is fired — something that needs to happen this winter whether Quade is retained or not — it’d be for the best if the new general manager gets to pick the manager of his choice.

Six-year old boy reports the Indians want to give Francisco Lindor a seven-year contract

3 Comments

The substance of the report is not shocking. Francisco Lindor is one of baseball’s brightest young stars and the Cleveland Indians would, no doubt, wish to lock him up for an extended period of time. The surprising part is the guy who reported that, yes, the Indians are working to get Lindor a seven-year extension.

That guy: six-year-old Brody Chernoff, son of Indians general manager Mike Chernoff. Brody was invited into the team’s broadcast booth during the ninth inning of their game against the Chicago White Sox. Indians announcer Tom Hamilton asked, no doubt jokingly, if his working on anything interesting. Brody:

“He’s trying to get, um, Lindor to play for seven more years,”

Again, not shocking. It would’ve been way worse if Brody had said “Dad’s working on a three-way deal that’ll send Naquin to an NL team in order to affect a three-way trade that’ll land us Verlander without having to deal directly with a divisional rival.” But I imagine Dad still would’ve preferred he not mention that.

Watch:

Braves sign David Hernandez

Jon Durr/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Bill Whitehead of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves have signed reliever David Hernandez to a minor league contract on Sunday. He’ll report to spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Hernandez, who turns 32 years old in May, signed a minor league contract with the Giants in February. He requested and was granted his release on Friday when he learned he wasn’t making the team’s 25-man roster to open the season.

Hernandez pitched for the Phillies last year. He compiled a 3.84 ERA with an 80/32 K/BB ratio in 72 2/3 innings.