John Lackey throws Quality Start, denies need for surgery

12 Comments

During a radio interview yesterday Peter Gammons speculated about whether John Lackey’s struggles and elbow problems could lead to his needing Tommy John surgery, but then last night Lackey tossed 7.2 innings of two-run ball against the Phillies and denied the need for surgery.

Lackey told reporters that Gammons “straight made that up” and then asked them, “What did it look like tonight?”

However, general manager Theo Epstein explained to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that the Red Sox “are not hiding that he had an elbow injury” and will “monitor him and make sure those symptoms don’t come back.”

Lackey has a 5.28 ERA in five starts since spending time on the disabled list with a strained elbow that required a cortisone shot and Epstein gave an interesting answer when asked if he’d classify the injury as a torn ligament:

Again, first off almost every pitcher by standard definition has a tear in his shoulder or elbow. That’s the nature of throwing a baseball. I think it’s accurate to say he had an elbow injury, he was given a shot for it to alleviate the symptoms and we monitor it closely.

Terry Francona took a much more sarcastic approach to Gammons’ speculation, saying: “We don’t usually work six weeks ahead on surgery. Go get ’em, Lack. You’ve got six more starts and then you’ll need Tommy John.”

Oh, and in addition to making $15.25 million this season Lackey is also still owed $15.25 million in 2012, 2013, and 2014.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”