Minnesota Twins v New York Yankees, Game 3

Joe Mauer was called out for his pitch selection over the weekend

16 Comments

That work that Joe Mauer is getting a first base is clearly designed to (a) get his bat in the lineup more often; and (b) potentially cover for what could be the loss of Justin Morneau for the rest of the season.  But there’s at least one guy who may be happy to see Mauer at first for another reason. That guy is Twins reliever Jose Mijares.

I had missed this over the weekend, but on Friday, Mijares got a bit angry at Mauer over the pitches he called during Mijares’ brief and unsuccessful seventh inning appearance against Prince Fielder. What’s more, he took the unusual step of calling out Mauer for it after the game:

“I don’t know what was going on with Mauer,” Mijares said after the Twins fell back to 10 games below .500. “He never put the sign for breaking ball. Never. Fastball, fastball, fastball. Fastball. Last pitch, I’d like to throw a breaking ball. He said fastball. OK.”

Ron Gardenhire wasn’t happy with the pitch selection either, though it seems that he placed blame on both Mijares and Mauer:

“A lefthander’s gotta come in and hopefully spin some pitches. If you just throw fastballs — I could leave a righthander in to throw fastballs. That’s the way I look at it.”

In all, the lefty Mijares threw six pitches, all of them fastballs. Why, if he felt so strongly about it, he didn’t shake off Mauer or have a little conference about it on the mound is an open question. And of course, if that last fastball to Fielder was any good, Fielder wouldn’t have smacked it for a go-ahead double. For Mauer’s part, he said that Mijares’ slider had been erratic lately, and he worried about walking Fielder. Though, really, a walk to Fielder may not have been awful there.

Either way, it’s not often that you see a reliever — let alone the manager — quibble with pitch selection like this after a game. Especially in a way that calls out an MVP catcher like Mauer.

Zach Britton settles with the Orioles for $6.75 million

Baltimore Orioles relief pitcher Zach Britton delivers a pitch against the Boston Red Sox in the ninth inning of a baseball game at Fenway Park, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, in Boston. The Orioles won 6-4. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
AP Photo/Steven Senne
Leave a comment

The Orioles and closer Zach Britton avoided an arbitration hearing, agreeing to a $6.75 million salary for the 2016 season, Jon Heyman reports. The club has now handled all of its remaining arbitration cases and won’t have to go to a hearing with any players.

Britton, in his second of four years of arbitration eligibility, filed for $7.9 million while the Orioles countered at $5.6 million. $6.75 million is exactly the midpoint between the two submitted figures.

The 28-year-old lefty saved 36 games in 40 chances last season for the O’s while putting up a 1.92 ERA with a 79/14 K/BB ratio over 65 2/3 innings.

The Blue Jays will also try to sign Josh Donaldson to a multi-year deal

Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson gets up after being unable to handle an infield single by Boston Red Sox's Mookie Betts during the fourth inning of a baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston Monday, Sept. 7, 2015. (AP Photo/Winslow Townson)
AP Photo/Winslow Townson
Leave a comment

Tacking onto Friday’s report that the Blue Jays will attempt to sign Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to multi-year deals, Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports that the club will try to do the same with third baseman and defending American League Most Valuable Player Josh Donaldson. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports notes that Donaldson’s arbitration hearing is scheduled for February 15, so the two sides will have 10 days to hammer out a contract.

Donaldson, 30, is entering his second of four years of arbitration eligibility. After earning $4.3 million last season, Donaldson filed for $11.8 million and the Blue Jays countered at $11.35 million. The $450,000 difference isn’t much compared to some of the other disparities among arbitration-eligible players and their respective clubs. Jake Arrieta and the Cubs, for example, had a gap of $6.5 million.

This past season, Donaldson let the league in runs scored and RBI with 122 and 123, respectively, while batting .297.371/.568 with 41 home runs and 41 doubles. He earned 23 of 30 first place votes in AL MVP balloting, with runner-up Mike Trout of the Angels grabbing the other seven votes.

Reds prospect Juan Duran suspended 80 games

Banned
3 Comments

Juan Duran, a minor-league outfielder in the Reds’ farm system, has been suspended 80 games following positive tests for the performance-enhancing drugs Drostanolone, Stanozolol, and Nandrolone.

Duran is 6-foot-7 with big-time power, averaging 23 homers per 150 games since 2011, but he also strikes out a ton and struggles to control the strike zone. He spent last season at Double-A, missing a lot of time with injuries and hitting .256 with six homers and a .728 OPS in 59 games as a 23-year-old.

Duran is on the 40-man roster and is considered a quasi-prospect, but he’ll be ineligible to play until July and figures to head back to Double-A once reinstated.

The Blue Jays will talk long term deals with Jose Bautistia and Edwin Encarnacion

Jose Bautista Blue Jays
1 Comment

Ever since Alex Anthopoulos resigned as Blue Jays’ GM and Mark Shapiro took over as team president, a distinct air of frugality has set in over Rogers Centre. The go-for-broke attitude that fueled Toronto’s fantastic second half last year was repudiated and long-term, sustainable building has seemed to be the order of the day.

But the Jays aren’t going to go crazy with that: ESPN’s Jayson Stark reports that the Blue Jays plan to have long-term extension talks with the agents of Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion during spring training. This, combined with the still-remaining possibility that they can avoid arbitration with MVP Josh Donaldson and hammer out a long-term deal could mean some serious spending by the Jays before Opening Day.

Or this could just be talk from the front office designed to buoy the spirits of fans. Locking up all three of them to long-term deals may be hella expensive and may not be possible. It’s also the case that, given their ages — Bautista is 35 and Encarnacion is 33 — it may not be advisable to lock the both up. As always, it depends on the terms and how generous Rogers Communications plans on being with the Jays’ budget.

But the chatter is now out there and expectations are poised to be set.