Blue Jays GM is “livid” about reports of pre-draft deal with first-round pick Tyler Beede

2 Comments

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos is furious about reports and speculation claiming the Blue Jays made a pre-draft deal with first-round pick Tyler Beede, calling them “ridiculous” and “a joke.”

Last week Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus noted “lots of industry rumors that the Blue Jays had a pre-draft deal done with first-round pick Tyler Beede. Against the rules; but always happens.”

Keith Law of ESPN.com later wrote that Beede “is going to sign for about $3 million.”

Goldstein and Law, who’re two of the most connected prospect and draft analysts around, both posted those notes via Twitter.

And here’s what Anthopoulos said to John Lott of the National Post:

I’m amazed at all the false rumours about everything. I’m just sick of reading lies and rumours that people make up about us all the time. I’ve had enough of it.

Anthopoulos almost immediately regretted going public with his anger, telling Ken Fidlin of the Toronto Sun:

I broke my own policy of commenting on rumors. It was a momentary lapse of weakness for me. I pride myself on being able to take things in stride, but I don’t like the insinuation that we break rules. That’s where I felt the line was crossed. I just wish people would follow up a little bit more and be absolutely certain before they come out with these things.

Pre-draft deals are definitely very real, but Anthopoulos suggests that working something out with a player beforehand doesn’t make sense for a team picking 21st overall, saying: “I’d like someone to explain it to me.”

MLB’s recommended “slot” signing bonus for the 21st pick is around $1.3 million, so pre-draft deal or not Beede is expected to exceed that number by a huge amount as the Blue Jays try to sign him away from a commitment to Vanderbilt.

Report: Red Sox expected to announce J.D. Martinez signing on Monday

Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Tomorrow will mark a week since the Red Sox reportedly inked outfielder J.D. Martinez to a five-year, $110 million contract. The signing hasn’t been made official yet, however, due to an apparent medical issue. That will change tomorrow morning as the Red Sox have a press conference scheduled with Martinez where they’re expected to announce the signing at long last, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the terms of the deal aren’t expected to change. Presumably, the Red Sox had some safeguards put into the contract to protect them against whatever spooked them with the results of Martinez’s physical.

Martinez, 30, was the top free agent hitter after batting .303/.376/.690 with 45 home runs and 104 RBI in 489 plate appearances last season with the Tigers and Diamondbacks. He has expressed an interest in continuing to play in the outfield, but MLB.com’s Ian Browne says he will get a majority of his playing time as a DH with the Red Sox. Hanley Ramirez will share first base with Mitch Moreland.