Gary Carter diagnosed with bronchitis after being rushed to hospital

4 Comments

Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter was rushed to the hospital Thursday night after experiencing a “serious coughing attack” and “having shooting pains in his back,” his daughter Kimmy Bloemers wrote on a private family website yesterday. The 57-year-old Carter is currently battling Stage 4 brain cancer.

Mike Mazzeo of ESPN.com reports that Carter underwent X-rays and a CT scan on his chest and back, which revealed a case of bronchitis. After initial fears about blood clotting or pneumonia were ruled out, Carter was able to return home yesterday.

“What a huge praise that it is not as serious as it could have been,” Bloemers wrote. “However because of dad’s condition, a chest cold can drain dad’s energy more. The sweet nurse said that everything looked great, which was a relief.”

Carter began his cancer treatment earlier this month. He currently in the process of undergoing 6 1/2 weeks of radiation and a year of chemotherapy.

During last night’s game against the Angels, the Mets placed a huge “Get Well Soon” card for Carter in the Jackie Robinson Rotunda for fans to sign. Here’s a picture of one fan signing the card, courtesy of the Mets’ Twitter feed.

Clayton Kershaw could return on September 1

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw has been out since July 24 with a lower back strain. He’s slated to throw a three-inning simulated game in Pittsburgh on Monday, per Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register. Plunkett adds that if all goes well, the earliest Kershaw could return is August 31 against the Diamondbacks, but September 1 is more likely against the Padres.

Kershaw, 29, hit the disabled list on a pace to win his fourth Cy Young Award. He’s 15-2 with a 2.04 ERA and a 168/24 K/BB ratio in 141 1/3 innings.

The Dodgers have managed just fine without Kershaw. The club is 19-4 since July 24. At 87-35, the Dodgers own baseball’s best record, well ahead of the second-best Astros at 76-48.

Ian Kinsler was fined for ripping umpires publicly. Brad Ausmus says it’s the largest fine he’s seen in 25 years.

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
6 Comments

Last week, Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler was ejected from a game against the Rangers after giving home plate umpire Angel Hernandez a look after a pitch was thrown outside for a ball. Kinsler was apparently unhappy with calls Hernandez had made earlier. Manager Brad Ausmus, too, was ejected.

After the game, Kinsler said that Hernandez “needs to find another job.” He added, “…he needs to stop ruining baseball games.”

Kinsler was fined by Major League Baseball for his remarks, Mlive’s Evan Woodbery reports. According to Ausmus, the fine levied on Kinsler was the largest one he’s seen in nearly 25 years in baseball. Kinsler said, “I said what I felt and what I thought. If they take offense to that, then that’s their problem.” Ausmus said, “To single out one player as a union is completely uncalled for.”

As Ashley noted on Saturday, the umpires wore white wristbands to protest “escalating attacks on umpires.” The umpires agreed to drop their protest on Sunday after commissioner Rob Manfred agreed to meet with the umpire union’s governing board, Gabe Lacques of USA TODAY Sports reports.