Matt Moore

Rays prospect Matt Moore throws no-hitter for Double-A Montgomery


Montgomery Biscuits left-hander Matt Moore, one of the game’s best pitching prospects, threw a no-hitter Thursday in an 8-0 win over the Mobile BayBears.

It was the first no-hitter in Biscuits history and the first nine-inning no-no for a Rays farmhand since 2002.  Moore struck out 11 and walked two in the 106-pitch outing.  He outdueled another excellent pitching prospect, the Diamondbacks’ Jarrod Parker.

BayBears first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, the home run leader in the minors this season, went 0-for-3 against Moore in the contest.

With the victory, Moore moved to 4-3 this season.  He has a 2.43 ERA and a 103/23 K/BB ratio in 77 2/3 innings, and Southern League hitters are batting just .186 against him.

In another organization, Moore, who turns 22 on Saturday, would likely be primed for a midseason callup.  However, the Rays are cautious as any team in baseball with their pitching prospects  and even if more injuries strike their rotation, it’s possible we won’t see him in the majors this season.

Indians promote Chris Antonetti to President, name new GM

Chris Antonetti
Leave a comment

In the seemingly never-ending trend of front office officials getting new titles, the Cleveland Indians just announced that General Manager Chris Antonetti has been promoted to President of Baseball Operations and Mike Chernoff is now the GM.

Antonetti has been the Tribe’s GM for the past five years and is moving up in the wake of team president Mark Shapiro moving on to Toronto. Shapiro, however, also held business side responsibilities which Antonetti will not assume. Meaning, as before, he will be the top guy on baseball ops decisions, albeit with a grander title.

Chernoff has been an assistant GM for five years and has been with the organization for the past 12 years. As many new GMs these days he will, functionally speaking, still be an assistant when it comes to baseball decisions.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.