6:00 p.m. EDT: After failing to talk his way out of the assignment, Jeter was placed on the disabled list by the Yankees, putting the chase for 3,000 hits on hold for at least 15 days. Eduardo Nunez will take over as the team’s shortstop. Ramiro Pena was called up to serve as a utilityman.
The official announcement isn’t supposed to happen until everyone gets settled in at the ballpark in hour or so, but everyone is saying that it’s likely that Derek Jeter will be placed on the disabled list today. Jon Heyman says the Yankees are “strongly considering” it. Most Yankees beat guys who have said anything have suggested that they would not be surprised.
It’s been some time since Jeter saw any DL time, but the danger in not doing it here is two-fold: (1) that the Yankees would be shorthanded in upcoming games against the NL in interleague play when you just know that Joe Girardi will want to get all double-switchy; and (2) more importantly, that the calf, if not completely rested and at least mostly healed, could become a chronic problem like Jimmy Rollins and some other players have had in recent years.
A third consideration — that the Yankees are really just gaming this so that Jeter can be back to get his 3000th hit in Yankee Stadium — is far to silly to be true, but far too delicious to be too mad at people for perpetuating in the first place.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.