Rangers manager Ron Washington pulled shortstop Elvis Andrus from Sunday’s loss to the Twins after the youngster made what looked like a lazy throw on a grounder in the bottom of the eighth.
“I didn’t like his attitude,” Washington told the Dallas Morning News. “The inning before there were a couple of plays he didn’t make, but he gave the effort. There are going to be plays that you can’t make. On that play, there wasn’t energy. Elvis is better than that. I didn’t chew him out, but I let him know that.”
The errant throw resulted in Andrus’ second error of the game. The previous error in the seventh contributed to five unearned runs, and Andrus had a second ball that he failed to get to as part of that big inning for the Twins.
“I was still a little upset, I think about the inning before,” Andrus said. “I got upset with myself and I think that was still bothering me because I didn’t help the pitcher out. But things happen. There is no excuse. There’s nothing really that I can say about it.”
It doesn’t sound like the incident will put Andrus back on the bench Tuesday against the Yankees. He has been awfully error prone this season, with 13 miscues already, but he’s also made a lot of great plays and the Rangers are pretty happy with how he’s contributing offensively. Hopefully this will end up being just a one-time thing.
Johnny Cueto signed a six-year $130 million deal with the Giants prior to the 2016 season. In his first season he went 18-5 with a 2.79 ERA and 198 strikeouts in 219.2 innings, helping lead the Giants to the playoffs. This season has been rocky for Cueto — he’s got a a 4.42 ERA in 15 starts and has battled blisters — but they’ve been far rockier for the Giants overall, as they sit in last place in the NL West and have the second worst record in baseball.
Many suspect that the Giants will either rebuild or, at the very least, restructure some in response to this nightmare year. If so, they’re likely going to be doing it with Cueto, who Jon Heyman reports is going to opt-out of his deal:
San Francisco Giants starting pitcher Johnny Cueto is planning to opt out of his contract at the end of the year, but he would listen to any extension offer . . . Cueto has $84 million to go over four years. It would probably take an injury or major slump for Cueto not to opt out. But it makes sense that he will.
Heyman says the Giants are not inclined to give him an extension, so expect to see Cueto on the free agent market three days after the World Series ends, which is the deadline for him to exercise his opt-out rights.
Things are going great for the Dodgers lately. They’ve won seven consecutive games and 13 of their last 14. They lead the National League in wins and are in first place in, arguably, the best division in baseball.
But there are a lot of moving parts on a baseball team, and even when some things are going great, other things can go not-so-great. Like this:
Urias has been diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and shut down indefinitely. An MRI last week showed no structural damage, but his shoulder is still bothering him. He has not pitched in the bigs since late May, when he allowed seven runs in less than three innings against the Miami Marlins. He was sent down after that and went 3-0 with a 3.12 ERA, six walks and 17 strikeouts in 17.1 innings pitched in three starts with Oklahoma City before being shelved.