UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe tells us that Buchholz will indeed start against the Yankees next week.
Apologies for the false alarm. Carry on, everyone.
2:02 PM: First the Yankees miss Dan Haren, now this?
According to Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, Red Sox manager Terry Francona indicated this morning that Clay Buchholz may miss his scheduled start next Wednesday against the Yankees due to concerns about discomfort in his lower back.
“I think the way he explained it was that it didn’t hurt, but I think it was on his mind that maybe it was going to hurt,” Francona said. “I think he was wondering if he was going to get to a certain point and it was going to grab at him, and it didn’t. I think we want to sit down with him and figure out the best way to go forward, whether it’s in five days or give him a couple extra days.”
Buchholz allowed six runs (five earned) on eight hits over 4 2/3 innings last night in a no-decision against the Athletics. The 26-year-old right-hander is 4-3 with a 3.82 ERA and 49/26 K/BB ratio over his first 12 starts this season.
Tim Wakefield was scheduled to throw a bullpen session today just in case he’s needed to start against the Bombers next week.
The Cardinals went from winning 100 games last season to 82 entering Wednesday evening’s game, and they might not even make the playoffs. Still, the organization will bring back manager Mike Matheny for the 2017 season, Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
Owner Bill DeWitt, Jr. said, “Mike’s done a really good job for us. There’s no thought that we’re going to go in any different direction.”
GM John Mozeliak also expressed his support, saying, “Mike takes a lot of heat, and I’ve defended him and I will continue to. I really feel like some of the things that we’re dealing with aren’t fair to put on the manager.”
Mozeliak continued, “I do feel like all of us are always held accountable for what we do here, so there’s nobody excluded from that. But having said that, I don’t look at him as someone that we are where we are because of that.”
Matheny has received criticism for his bullpen usage, but the Cardinals have only 15 blown saves as a team, the fourth-lowest total in baseball this season.
The Phillies’ bullpen led to yet another loss on Tuesday. Severino Gonzalez, Luis Garcia, Joely Rodriguez, and David Hernandez combined to allow six runs in five innings, allowing the Braves to come back and win 7-6 after falling behind 6-0 after the first two innings.
The game prior, the Phillies’ bullpen surrendered 14 runs in four innings in a 17-0 loss to the Mets. The game before that, the bullpen yielded four runs in four innings, nearly squandering the Phillies’ 10-0 lead after four innings. And last Thursday, the Phillies had taken an 8-6 lead in the top of the 11th, but Edubray Ramos served up a walk-off three-run home run to Asdrubal Cabrera. It’s been a tough month.
Manager Pete Mackanin ripped the bullpen when speaking to the media after Tuesday’s game. Via Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly:
Neris was going to close for us. I thought about using him with two outs in the eighth. But, at some point, somebody else has to do a (bleeping) job. Somebody else has to (bleeping) step up. In two games now, every reliever I brought in has given up a (bleeping) run. That’s unheard of.
The Phillies currently own the fourth-worst bullpen ERA in baseball at 4.97. Only the Rockies (5.12), Reds (5.07), and Diamondbacks (4.98) have been worse.
In fairness to the bullpen, aside from Jeanmar Gomez (who lost his job as closer earlier this month) and free agent signee David Hernandez, the bullpen is intentionally comprised of young, inexperienced pitchers as the Phillies are still rebuilding. If the Phillies were aiming for a playoff spot, it would be one thing, but the struggles are to be expected when one throws 24-year-olds into the deep end.