Rubin: Mets may deal David Wright, keep Jose Reyes

8 Comments

Looks like ESPNNewYork.com is hunting for traffic.

The ever familiar “source familiar with the organization’s thinking” told Adam Rubin that the Mets may re-sign free-agent-to-be Jose Reyes and trade David Wright next winter.

According to the unnamed source:

It will be a very ticklish situation because of what David has meant to the team for so long, but that’s not a concern of [GM Sandy Alderson]. There will be some capital there to spend on Reyes if they choose to go that direction. Now, he can’t obviously get monster money. If Reyes wants monster money, no, the Mets won’t keep him.

The source, of course, didn’t rule out a trade of Reyes before the deadline.

Wright is owed $15 million next year, and his contract includes a $16 million option for 2013 that will be picked up if he stays healthy.  There’d be plenty of interest in him if the Mets did make him available over the winter.  Aramis Ramirez and Casey Blake are going to be the best third basemen available in free agency.

Still, it’s hard to see why the Mets would move Wright, only to spend his money on what would have to be a long-term deal for Reyes.  Wright is more durable, and he has the better track record.  It’s true that his numbers have suffered in Citi Field, but he’s still one of the game’s very best third basemen and he’s just 28.

Anyway, with big trade offers for Reyes likely to come in before the deadline, it’s not even going to be worth speculating on Reyes vs. Wright until Aug. 1.

The Marlins made an empty threat. Giancarlo Stanton made an empty promise.

Associated Press
Leave a comment

I covered the main press conference about Giancarlo Stanton earlier, but afterward he and his agents fanned out to various TV shows, radio shows and reporter scrums from which some new, fun things have spun out. Part of what they’ve talked about is silly and meaningless, part of it just meaningless.

Here’s the silly and meaningless, from a Marlins official, apparently, trying to bully Stanton into accepting either the Giants or the Cardinals trades despite the fact that he told them beforehand that he was not willing to go to either of those teams:

This is silly because it comes off like a threat. Like the worst possible thing that can happen to a guy is to stay with the very team that is making the threat. It’s like telling your wife that if she does not leave you, she’s stuck with you forever.

It’s meaningless too, in that Stanton has an opt-out clause after 2020. If the Marlins could not make a trade Stanton would approve, he’d simply collect close to $90 million and then leave at age 30. Oooh, don’t throw me into that briar patch, Mr. Jeter!

Not that Stanton’s people are offering statements of serious gravitas. His agent was asked about Stanton’s opt-out rights, which he retains even though he’s now with the Yankees:

That may very well be true! He just got here and everything is going great so far. It’s totally empty, of course, because anything can happen between now and the fall of 2020. If the big time free agents of the next two years sign for the sort of money that makes Stanton look underpaid, he’ll certainly opt-out, even if he wants to stay with the Yankees. Ask Alex Rodriguez and CC Sabathia how that works. The opt-out clause is pure, unadulterated leverage for a player and unless he totally craters over the next three seasons he’ll most certainly use it, regardless of present desires.

Which, hey, that’s how things work when a big trade or free agent signing happens. Everyone who has lost looks bad and everyone who won sounds happy. Then, later, the baseball happens.