10:50 p.m. EDT update: Amid speculation that Lawrie could be called up to make his major league debut Friday, he was forced to leave Tuesday’s game with Triple-A Las Vegas after being hit on the hand by a pitch.
With two months down, we’re nearing the point at which teams can call up their top prospects without having to worry about them becoming super-two arbitation eligible after 2013. One everybody is watching is Brett Lawrie, and Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos said Tuesday that a decision on the 21-year-old can be expected soon.
Lawrie, who was switched from second base to third after the Blue Jays acquired him from the Brewers for Shaun Marcum over the winter, is hitting ..354/.413/.677 with 15 homers and 11 steals for Triple-A Las Vegas. That’s an outstanding environment for offense, but he’s been even better on the road than at home, hitting .375/.436/.663.
Lawrie’s defense remains rough, though. Or as Project Prospect’s Adam Foster told me last week:
I’ve seen Lawrie twice in person. His hands would be among the worst of any big
league infielder if he remains at third. The scout who caught him for me last week confirmed that his stiff hands, difficulty throwing and lack of focus on defense don’t project well for his future as an infielder.
The Jays, though, badly need some help at third base and may soon give him a try there anyway. A switch to left field could come later down the road.
For more on Lawrie, go check out Project Prospect’s latest scouting report, which comes with a couple of video clips.