David Wright takes the high road in response to the Wilpon comments


The Mets are off today, so there doesn’t necessarily have to be a meet-the-press moment for the main players in Fred Wilpon-a-palooza until another day of the news cycle has passed. But at least one of the players called out by Fred Wilpon in the New Yorker profile — David Wright — has responded. And he has done so in a manner that suggests that maybe — just maybe — this could blow over with less craziness than one might expect:

“Fred is a good man and is obviously going through some difficult times. There is nothing more productive I can say at this time.”

I wonder if Reyes and Beltran will follow Wright’s lead and play the pity card rather then take a swipe back.  They’d be smart to, but really, I can’t say how I’d respond if my boss showed such a lack of discretion in a big feature article in the New Yorker.

Either way, the real damage here is the internal damage in terms of how the clubhouse responds and whether these sorts of comments by the owner sours players to coming to New York and all of that.  The responses of Wright, Beltran, Reyes and others, however, will likely determine the kind of shelf life this all has as a media story.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.


Ichiro Suzuki is re-signing with the Marlins for 2016

Ichiro Suzuki

Fresh off his season-ending pitching debut, Ichiro Suzuki has decided to re-sign with the Marlins for 2016.

Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that an official announcement will be made later today,

Suzuki was one of the worst players in baseball this season, hitting .229 with one homer and a .561 OPS in 153 games as a semi-regular for the Marlins at age 41. He hasn’t topped a .700 OPS since 2010, hitting a combined .268 with a .304 on-base percentage and .342 slugging percentage in 769 games during the past five seasons.

He’s also just 65 hits short of reaching 3,000 for his MLB career and presumably the Marlins like being involved in that upcoming milestone and having the well-liked future Hall of Famer in the clubhouse to keep him around in what will no doubt be a lesser role.