Madoff trustee throws some new stuff at Wilpon and Katz

8 Comments

Both the New York Times and the Post today run with the latest filing in the Bernie Madoff/Wilpon/Mets case. The allegation: in 2001 Wilpon and Katz went shopping for “fraud insurance,” and that by doing so it shows that they had reason to believe that Madoff was, in fact, a fraud, it says.

For those who forget, the trustee, Irving Picard, is claiming that because Wilpon and Katz “knew or should have known” that Madoff was a fraud, they are responsible to pay back hundreds of millions of dollars to Madoff victims, so this would be evidence supporting that, he claims.

Eh.  Look, I’m still generally skeptical of claims by the Wilpons that they were babes in the woods here, but this “shopping for fraud insurance” allegation doesn’t do much to support that in my mind.

For one thing, they didn’t buy the insurance. If they thought there was a serious risk of Madoff’s pyramid crumbling down, wouldn’t they have?

And more to the point, isn’t shopping for insurance a sign of prudence?  Just because I buy auto insurance doesn’t mean I’m gonna go crash my car into things. Just because I buy home owner’s insurance doesn’t mean I’m gonna burn the place down. I trust my doctor, but I’m damn glad he has malpractice coverage.

Insurance is just something you look into as a matter of course. You’d be shocked to see how many specialized insurance products are out there on the market. It’s almost as if insurance companies have a keen sense of how to prey on the insecurities of people in order to make a buck. They don’t mean anything in and of themselves.

So, sorry. If there were emails from back then saying “Hey, Fred! We all know that Madoff is a scam artist, so let’s buy some awesome insurance so we can skate!” fine, then it’s something. But the mere fact that someone was looking at this kind of insurance doesn’t do a whole hell of a lot for me. At best it’s spice in the gumbo. It’s not the shrimp, and without any shrimp, it’s pretty useless.

David Price’s season debut could be pushed back to May

Getty Images
Leave a comment

David Price showed “strength improvements” in his elbow on Saturday, but Red Sox’ manager John Farrell still doesn’t think the left-hander will be ready to throw by the start of the season — or for a few weeks afterward. According to ESPN’s Scott Lauber, the 31-year-old might not be ready to debut until May at the earliest.

Price hasn’t thrown off of a mound this spring after experiencing soreness in his left elbow on March 1. Surgery doesn’t appear to be necessary, but the Red Sox are playing it extra safe with their No. 3 starter in hopes that rest and rehabilitation will return him to full health sometime during the 2017 season. For now, Price has been restricted to short games of catch until he’s cleared to resume a more rigorous throwing program. Via MLB.com’s Ian Browne:

[There were] strength improvements to the point of putting the ball back in his hand a little more consistently,” said manager John Farrell. “Today’s the first step for that. A short game of catch. That’s what he’s going through. Not off a mound but just to get the arm moving with a ball in flight, and he will continue in this phase for a period of time. There’s no set distance and volume yet to the throws.

The lefty is coming off of a lackluster 2016 season, during which he delivered a 3.99 ERA, 2.0 BB/9 and 8.9 SO/9 over 230 innings for the Red Sox.

Yadier Molina will not enter contract negotiations during the 2017 season

Getty Images
2 Comments

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals’ catcher Yadier Molina is still open to extension talks during the last week of spring training. Once Opening Day rolls around, however, Molina has preemptively nixed any contract negotiations until the end of the 2017 season, when he’s scheduled to hit free agency.

Molina wants to stay with the Cardinals, or so he’s telling reporters, but he’s also “not afraid” to test the free agent market this fall should a deal fail to materialize. Via Goold:

I would love to stay, but at the same time I’m not afraid to go to free agency. I’ve still got many years in the tank. Believe me. I feel great. I feel like a 20-year-old kid. I’m not afraid to go to free agency.

The 34-year-old backstop is entering his final year under contract, though Goold points out that he has a $15 million option for 2018 that he can choose to decline in the event that it’s exercised by the team. He’s reportedly searching for a figure closer to those made by other top catchers like Buster Posey and Russell Martin.

The 2017 season will mark Molina’s 14th year in the Cardinals’ organization, building on a career that has spanned seven All-Star campaigns, nine postseason runs and two World Series championships in St. Louis. He batted .307/.360/.427 with eight home runs and a .787 OPS for the club in 2016.