According to the Baltimore Sun’s Peter Schmuck, Orioles manager Buck Showalter all but confirmed that Derrek Lee and Cesar Izturis would go on the disabled list.
First baseman Brandon Snyder and left-hander Troy Patton have joined the Orioles in Boston, and though neither has been officially activated yet, the team is likely to make room for both before the game.
Lee suffered a strained oblique during Monday’s game against the Red Sox. It’s awful timing for him, as he seemed to be warming up in the plate. He doubled in one of his two at-bats Monday, extended his hitting streak to six games and giving him four RBI in the last three games.
Izturis is reportedly dealing with numbness in his right hand that he’s gotten occasionally since having Tommy John surgery in Sept. 2005.
Snyder would likely share time at first base with Luke Scott while Lee is out. The former first-round pick was hitting .276/.342/.455 with five homers in 134 at-bats for Triple-A Norfolk. Most of his production came against left-handers, so the Orioles may want to use him in a strict platoon.
Patton, being used primarily as a reliever for the first time, had a 2.60 ERA in 17 1/3 innings for Norfolk. Although he’s a lefty, left-handers were hitting .286 against him, whereas righties were at .208.
Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.
That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.
Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.