Chicago's Peavy throws against the Washington Nationals in Washington

Jake Peavy on track to return from the disabled list Wednesday

4 Comments

The White Sox haven’t made a final decision, but pitching coach Don Cooper told Scott Merkin of MLB.com yesterday that Jake Peavy could be activated from the disabled list to start Wednesday against the Angels.

“We’ll have a sideline and see,” said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper of the plans for Peavy once he arrives. “Nothing is definite. We haven’t sat down and spoke about it. But it looks good for the 11th.”

Peavy threw 100 pitches while giving up five runs over seven innings Thursday in his latest minor league rehab start with Triple-A Charlotte. He hasn’t pitched in the majors since undergoing a unique procedure to repair a detached lat muscle near his right shoulder last July.

The interesting angle of his pending return is that Phil Humber has made a strong case to stay in the starting rotation. He gave up two runs on three hits over seven innings against the Mariners last night and now has a 2.65 ERA over six starts this season.

Following last night’s loss to the Mariners, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com that he’s lobbying for Humber to stay.

“He’s staying in the rotation; he has to stay,” Guillen said, moments after Humber gave up two runs over seven innings Friday against the Mariners. “I don’t think we are going to see anything different. When Jake comes in the rotation, we will talk to [GM] Kenny [Williams] and [pitching coach Don Cooper] to see what we are going to do. But this kid has earned and deserves to be in the rotation.”

It’s possible that the White Sox will go with a six-man rotation initially, but Humber will likely be bullpen-bound once his unsustainably low batting average on balls in play (.202) regresses to the mean.

Diamondbacks sign Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million deal

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - JUNE 14:  Jeff Mathis #6 of the Miami Marlins hits a grand slam during the first inning of a baseball game against the San Diego Padres at PETCO Park on June 14, 2016 in San Diego, California.   (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.

Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.

The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.

Jimmy Rollins wants to play in 2017

ARLINGTON, TX - MAY 10:  Jimmy Rollins #7 of the Chicago White Sox at Globe Life Park in Arlington on May 10, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
1 Comment

ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that free agent shortstop Jimmy Rollins wants to continue playing in 2017.

Rollins, 38, signed a minor league deal with the White Sox for the 2016 season but hit a disappointing .221/.295/.329 over 166 plate appearances. The club released Rollins in the middle of June and he did not sign with a new team. He did join TBS as part of their playoff coverage.

Rollins is almost certainly looking at another minor league contract and will have to earn his way onto a major league roster by performing well in spring training.