File this all under speculation but over at the L.A. Times’ Dodger Blog, Steve Dilbeck talks about how moving Frank McCourt out of the way may ease the way for the NFL to return to Los Angeles. Why? Because there have been a lot of scenarios thrown around over the years which envision the Dodgers’ ample parking lot as a new home for a football stadium, and making such a vision into reality would be way easier if the owner of said parking lot were not a highly-leveraged dude like McCourt.
Fine and dandy. I don’t really care if they build a football stadium in the parking lot because I don’t ever park there. But this little bit of speculation regarding a currently-eyeballed downtown site for a football stadium seems like a horror show:
The most radical and intriguing idea would be for the NFL to build in Chavez Ravine — where the team could build a larger stadium than downtown and have ample parking for larger crowds and tailgating — while a new ballpark would be built downtown at the proposed convention site Anschutz Entertainment Group President Tim Leiweke is currently pushing for a football stadium.
As in: get rid of Dodger Stadium and move the boys in blue downtown. Dilbeck talks to a guy from Yahoo! who says that’s not mere crazy speculation by bloggers, as he’s been hearing such chatter from developer and investor types. Which I guess still makes it speculation, just not as crazy because people like that can actually put plans in motion if they wanted to.
Can I go on record as saying that Dodger Stadium, despite its recent problems, is an absolute gorgeous ballpark in which baseball should always be played? And that if keeping the NFL from interfering with that means keeping Frank McCourt in charge of the Dodgers, I’d be on board?
Great. We’re in agreement.
It was assumed already, but Mike Scioscia made it official during Monday’s press conference for new general manager Billy Eppler that he will return as Angels manager in 2016.
Scioscia, the longest-tenured manager in the majors, has been at the helm with the Angels since 2000. There was a clause in his contract which allowed him to opt out after the 2015 season, but he has decided to stay put. He still has three years and $15 million on his contract, which runs through 2018.
Jerry Dipoto resigned as Angels general manager in July amid tension with Scioscia, so there were naturally questions today about what to expect with first-time GM Eppler in the fold. According to David Adler of MLB.com, Scioscia isn’t concerned.
“I think we’re going to mesh very well,” Scioscia said. “If we adjust, or maybe he adjusts to some of the things, there’s going to be collaboration that’s going to make us better.”
Eppler is the fourth general manager during Scioscia’s tenure with the team.
After winning the AL West last season, the Angels finished 85-77 this season and narrowly missed the playoffs. The team hasn’t won a postseason game since 2009.
Astros center fielder Carlos Gomez sat out the final series of the regular season in order to rest a strained left intercostal muscle, but there was good news coming out of a workout today in advance of Tuesday’s Wild Card game vs. the Yankees.
This has been a lingering issue for Gomez, who missed 13 straight games with the injury last month. He aggravated the strain on a throw to home plate last Wednesday and was forced to sit while the Astros fought to keep their season alive. Astros manager A.J. Hinch told reporters last week that Gomez’s injury would typically take 45-50 days to recover from, so it’s fair to wonder how productive he can be during the postseason.
Gomez mostly struggled after coming over from the Brewers at the trade deadline, batting .242 with four home runs and a .670 OPS over 41 games.