Ozzie Guillen calls his two-game suspension for tweeting “a good move” by MLB

3 Comments

I thought MLB suspending Ozzie Guillen two games for posting on Twitter following his ejection last week was too extreme, but yesterday the White Sox manager told Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com that the punishment “was a very fair one”:

I think it was good for baseball, myself and the integrity of the game. If MLB makes any good moves in the last 20 years I think this is a good one. They don’t make that many good moves but they did this time.

That quote didn’t seem very Ozzie-like until the part about how “they don’t make that many good moves.”

Guillen was ejected from Wednesday’s game for arguing a called third strike on Paul Konerko and posted on Twitter minutes later, writing:

This one going to cost me a lot money this is patetic

Today a tough guy show up a yankee stadium

He was right about the money and the “tough guy” is umpire Todd Tichenor. MLB prohibits the use of social media during games and Guillen said he “agrees 100 percent with them.” He served the suspension Friday and Saturday, as the White Sox lost both games to the Orioles.

Johnny Cueto expected to opt-out of his deal after the season

Getty Images
1 Comment

Johnny Cueto signed a six-year $130 million deal with the Giants prior to the 2016 season. In his first season he went 18-5 with a 2.79 ERA and 198 strikeouts in 219.2 innings, helping lead the Giants to the playoffs. This season has been rocky for Cueto — he’s got a a 4.42 ERA in 15 starts and has battled blisters — but they’ve been far rockier for the Giants overall, as they sit in last place in the NL West and have the second worst record in baseball.

Many suspect that the Giants will either rebuild or, at the very least, restructure some in response to this nightmare year. If so, they’re likely going to be doing it with Cueto, who Jon Heyman reports is going to opt-out of his deal:

San Francisco Giants starting pitcher Johnny Cueto is planning to opt out of his contract at the end of the year, but he would listen to any extension offer . . . Cueto has $84 million to go over four years. It would probably take an injury or major slump for Cueto not to opt out. But it makes sense that he will.

Heyman says the Giants are not inclined to give him an extension, so expect to see Cueto on the free agent market three days after the World Series ends, which is the deadline for him to exercise his opt-out rights.

The Dodgers are concerned about Julio Urias’ shoulder

Getty Images
2 Comments

Things are going great for the Dodgers lately. They’ve won seven consecutive games and 13 of their last 14. They lead the National League in wins and are in first place in, arguably, the best division in baseball.

But there are a lot of moving parts on a baseball team, and even when some things are going great, other things can go not-so-great. Like this:

Urias has been diagnosed with shoulder inflammation and shut down indefinitely. An MRI last week showed no structural damage, but his shoulder is still bothering him. He has not pitched in the bigs since late May, when he allowed seven runs in less than three innings against the Miami Marlins. He was sent down after that and went 3-0 with a 3.12 ERA, six walks and 17 strikeouts in 17.1 innings pitched in three starts with Oklahoma City before being shelved.