While reports last month indicated that he was interested to returning to the majors, perhaps with the Red Sox, Pedro Martinez said Sunday that he is leaning towards retirement.
“I keep active because I have not announced my retirement, because that is something that takes time and you have to plan it. Plus, it is something that the Dominican people expected,” Martinez said in an interview in his native Dominican Republic.
Martinez added that his comments last month about potentially pitching for the Red Sox this year were taken out of context.
“I did not mean I’m going to Boston,” he said.
Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, last pitched with the Phillies in 2009. The future Hall of Famer is 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA in 18-big league seasons.
The Dodgers have reportedly agreed to a one-year deal with free agent right-hander Tom Koehler, per Chris Cotillo of SB Nation. The team has yet to officially announce the signing, which is currently pending a physical.
Following a mostly-productive five-year run with the Marlins, the 31-year-old flamed out in 12 starts for Miami in 2017, eventually coming over to the Blue Jays in a midseason trade for minor leaguer Osman Gutierrez. He made a successful transition to the bullpen and finished the season on a high note, pitching to a 2.65 ERA, 3.2 BB/9 and 9.5 SO/9 in 17 innings.
Koehler was non-tendered by the Blue Jays earlier this month and had attracted a fair amount of interest around the league prior to his signing. He’s expected to reprise his role as a middle reliever in Los Angeles, though Cotillo speculates that he could also bring some depth and balance to the Dodgers’ lefty-heavy rotation.