UPDATE: Roy Oswalt has left the Phillies due to tornadoes near his home in Mississippi. Again.

41 Comments

3:03 PM:  The Phillies have just announced that Oswalt left the team due to concern regarding his family back home due to tornadoes in the area over the past several days.  There was some confusion on this earlier because it was almost exactly a year ago that Oswalt had to leave the Astros following the destruction of his boyhood home in Mississippi.  Here’s Ruben Amaro’s statement:

“There has been a tremendous amount of tornado activity near Roy’s home in Mississippi resulting in several tragic deaths and significant devastation to the area.  Because of this, Roy is concerned about his family’s well-being.  He has chosen to take time to make sure there wasn’t significant damage to his home, but more importantly, to make certain that his wife and children are okay.  It is almost a year to the day that his parents’ home was destroyed by a tornado which has heightened his concern about the current situation.We are hopeful that he will rejoin the team for his next start, but will take that day by day.”

His next start is not scheduled until next Tuesday, so there is hope that he will be back with the team by then. He could, thanks to offdays, go as late as May 7th if need be.

Here’s hoping his family is OK. And that Mother effing Nature will start steering tornadoes away from Oswalt’s neck of the woods. They’ve had enough.

1:18 PM: No details on this at the moment, but here’s Matt Gelb from the Philly Inquirer on Roy Oswalt:

A Phillies official says Roy Oswalt has left the team for personal reasons. No expected return date. Oswalt was not removed from the game for those personal reasons. He was taken out by Manuel because of his ineffectiveness.

There aren’t many things that could cause this that would constitute good news.  We’ll obviously update when more is learned.

UPDATE: Jim Salisbury’s story at CSN Philly fills in some details, including a lot of time on the phone and stuff for Oswalt before the game.  Could be his poor performance last night was because he was distracted?

Report: Orioles interested in Jarrod Dyson

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Free agent outfielder Jarrod Dyson is still a possible target for the Orioles, according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com. The outfielder has received limited interest after entering free agency this season, due in part to the season-ending sports hernia surgery he underwent last September. To that end, Kubatko says, the team has verified his medicals and no red flags appear to have surfaced so far.

Dyson, 33, managed a modest .251/.324/.350 batting line, five home runs and 28 stolen bases in 390 plate appearances for the Mariners last year. He didn’t overwhelm the competition at the plate, particularly during an injury-riddled second half, but still showed himself capable of maintaining the speed and defense that have become his calling cards over the last five seasons. Kubatko notes that while Dyson doesn’t appear to be seeking an everyday role again in 2018, he could be a “useful player” for Baltimore if he remains healthy.

The Giants have also tossed their hats in the ring for Dyson this winter, going so far as to call him their primary non-Lorenzo Cain candidate. Nothing is close to being finalized, however, and ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that both Dyson and the Giants are still talking to other interested parties. The Orioles, too, are exploring alternatives to Dyson, and are rumored to be in talks with an anonymous right fielder who could conceivably platoon in right field and help provide depth behind Adam Jones in center.