Some Mets visited Walter Reed Hospital; some didn’t; world did not end

74 Comments

Remember the ridiculous controversy — or was it a nontroversey? — last September when Carlos Beltran, Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez failed to make the voluntary team visit to Walter Reed Hospital while in Washington to play the Nats?  How Jeff Wilpon and then the New York media went absolutely bonkers over this, calling out those three for not doing something that reflected that there are things in the world that are bigger than baseball? Even though they never, ever would have been called out for it had it not been for their subpar performance as baseball players?

Yeah, that was totally not fun.  But at least it served one purpose: it put everyone else on notice that, boy howdy, they have better have their stories straight for the next visit to Walter Reed. Which occurred today:

The Mets visited Walter Reed Medical Center on Tuesday and unlike last year, the only two players who didn’t attend — Francisco Rodriguez and Taylor Buchholz — notified the team in advance that they wouldn’t arrive until Tuesday and had permission to miss it.

It’s neat that one needs “permission” to miss a voluntary outing like this, but such is the world the Mets live in now. A world in which fear of a public shaming by team ownership and the press instills patriotism and fosters a strong belief in public service. And what better motivation is there than that!

Yoenis Cespedes leaves game with pulled hamstring

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mets and Braves are playing today and it’s not a great day for the Mets in the injury department.

First they scratched Noah Syndergaard with a “tired arm.” Now they’ve lost Yoenis Cespedes, who pulled up limping at second base following a double in the bottom of the fourth:

The team has announced that he has pulled his left hamstring.

Cespedes, of course, missed three games over the weekend due to hamstring issues. That was merely tightness, however, and following an off day and a rainout, Cespedes played last night without incident. But it now looks as though he’s going to miss some serious time.

No done deal for Jeter and Jeb: Rob Manfred says two groups still in play for the Marlins

Getty Images
8 Comments

For all of the headlines about Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush buying the Miami Marlins, this is looking like anything but a done deal. First is the small matter of the billion and a half bucks Jeter and Jeb need to put together. Then there’s the matter of there being another . . . mystery bidder!

That according to commissioner Rob Manfred who says two groups are still bidding to buy the Marlins. He said this morning at the groundbreaking for the Jackie Robinson Museum, adding “There is no agreement in place. We’re working with more than one group . . . there is not a signed document on any topic.”

Despite this, Manfred said that “the timeline is relatively short; it would be measured in days, not months.” So someone is likely to find that billion and a half bucks soon, I reckon.