While an MRI Tuesday showed no major problems, Jake Peavy will miss his next rehab start after leaving Monday’s outing with what the White Sox are describing as muscle tenderness and irritation in his right shoulder.
Peavy, who is trying to make his way back from surgery to repair a detached lat muscle in his shoulder, threw just 15 pitches for Double-A Birmingham before exiting Monday’s game. He’ll be on anti-inflammatories, and he won’t resume throwing until Friday.
“They told me it was good news,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told the AP. “Right now with the news we got, I feel a little bit better.”
If all goes as hoped, Peavy could resume working in the minors in about 10 days.
And if all doesn’t go as hoped, at least the White Sox do have some protection. Sources told CSNChicago’s David Kaplan that the White Sox are covered by an insurance policy originally taken out by the Padres when they signed the right-hander to a three-year deal in 2009. The White Sox could be reimbursed about 65 percent of the $16 million he’ll make this year and the $17 million he’s set to earn in 2012 if he’s unable to pitch.
Three players were suspended on Monday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. They are: Indians pitcher Steve Delabar, Mariners pitcher Jonathan Aro, and free agent pitcher Jeffry Hernandez. Aro got a 50-game suspension while the other two were handed 80-game suspensions.
Delabar, 33, hasn’t pitched yet this season after signing a minor league deal with the Indians back in January. He spent last year with the Reds as well as the Hiroshima Carp in the Japan Central League. The right-hander has struggled over the last few seasons.
Aro, 26, also hasn’t appeared yet this season in the minors. He’s worked mostly in relief. The right-hander appeared briefly in the majors with the Mariners last season and logged 10 1/3 innings in the show with the Red Sox in 2015. Aro went to the Mariners along with Wade Miley in the trade that brought the Red Sox Carson Smith and Roenis Elias.
Hernandez, 22, is a free agent and his suspension will be effective if and when he signs with a new team.
The Phillies announced on Monday that starter Aaron Nola has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 21, with a lower back strain.
Nola, 23, compiled a 4.50 ERA with a 15/6 K/BB ratio over his first three starts spanning 16 innings. He felt some back soreness during his last start on Thursday against the Mets, and it lingered when he had a side session on Sunday.
CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury hears that the Phillies are likely to call up Nick Pivetta from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take Nola’s place in the rotation. Nola was scheduled to start on Wednesday.
Pivetta, 24, was acquired from the Nationals in the Jonathan Papelbon trade in July 2015. At Triple-A so far, Pivetta has given up only two earned runs on 12 hits and two walks with 24 strikeouts in 19 innings.