Nats hat logo

Nationals prospect shortstop Yewri Guillen dies of bacterial meningitis

1 Comment

Sad news out of the Dominican Republic.

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Nationals prospect shortstop Yewri Guillen, who played and lived at the team’s baseball academy in the Dominican Republic, died yesterday morning of bacterial meningitis. He was just 18 years old.

According to Nationals’ academy administrator Fausto Severino, Guillen started feeling ill at the complex last week and was sent home at his request to see a doctor of his choice. He was hospitalized over the weekend and died in the hospital Friday.

“He was a young kid with a lot of future and had a lot of talent,” Severino said. “It’s a young life other than being a baseball player. He was a happy kid all the time. He was a great kid. He was upbeat. He was a kid from a humble family but with great spirits. He was a kid everybody liked.”

The Nationals signed Guillen in February and had plans for him to play for one of their minor league affiliates in the United States this season.

It’s not yet known how Guillen contracted the illness. The Nationals have been in touch with other players who live and play at their complex and fortunately none have reported any health concerns.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
3 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.