Today the Yankees announced that Pedro Feliciano has a “torn shoulder capsule” and the left-hander told Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he’s “leaning toward” undergoing season-ending surgery.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman criticized the Mets for “abusing” Feliciano by using him 408 times in the past five seasons, including league-leading appearance totals in each of the past three years.
However, while that certainly may have led to his breaking down physically Feliciano apparently didn’t join the Yankees as completely damaged goods, as he told Carig that the shoulder injury was suffered during spring training. That won’t make the Yankees feel any better about handing him a two-year, $8 million deal this offseason, but then again if they legitimately felt that Feliciano had been abused by the Mets perhaps signing him to a multi-year contract wasn’t such a sound decision in the first place.
Boone Logan is currently the lone left-hander in the Yankees’ bullpen, but now that Feliciano isn’t coming back any time soon the Yankees will presumably begin shopping around for another southpaw reliever.
On Monday, we learned that the Mets offered to swap catchers with the Brewers, Travis d'Arnaud for Jonathan Lucroy. The Brewers, as expected, turned that down. The two still continue to discuss a trade involving Lucroy, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports.
The Mets certainly could use some help at catcher. The club has gotten an aggregate .608 OPS from their backstops, the fourth-lowest mark in baseball, ahead of only the Pirates, Rays, and Indians. However, the Mets seem to be behind other teams — including a “mystery” team — in the bidding, according to Jon Heyman of Today’s Knuckleball.
Lucroy, who took Thursday off, is batting .300/.361/.486 with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 371 plate appearances for the Brewers this season. He can become a free agent after the season if his controlling club opts against picking up his $5.25 million option for the 2017 season.
The Reds announced that starter Homer Bailey has been activated from the 60-day disabled list and will make his 2016 season debut on Sunday against the Padres. To make room on the roster, the Reds optioned outfielder Kyle Waldrop to Triple-A Louisville and transferred pitcher Caleb Cotham to the 60-day disabled list.
Bailey, 30, underwent Tommy John surgery last year, taking about 14 months to recover. He made only two starts last season and 23 starts in 2014. The right-hander has three more guaranteed years and $63 million remaining on his contract as well as a $25 million mutual option for the 2020 season with a $5 million buyout.
In six rehab appearances with Louisville dating back to June 27, Bailey has a 5.75 ERA and a 13/7 K/BB ratio in 20 1/3 innings. The stats from rehab stints don’t mean too much as long as the Reds feel he’s healthy enough to pitch.