There’s another ugly trial going on involving a former slugger

5 Comments

If you think the Barry Bonds trial is weird and salacious, get a load of the Brian Giles trial.  He and his former girlfriend have a nasty civil suit going on in which their messy love life and dueling claims of domestic violence are front and center. And it involves Chuck Knoblauch of all people:

[Giles’] attorneys also have portrayed Olvera as a money-hungry seeker of rich men, including four-time baseball All-Star Chuck Knoblauch, her current fiancé.

They showed Knoblauch in video testimony talking about all the jewelry he’s given Olvera. But then during a break in the trial Tuesday, one of Giles’ attorneys, Dan Gilleon, pulled out a baseball and asked Knoblauch to autograph it for him. Knoblauch, who attended Tuesday’s closing arguments, said he found it strange.

“Obviously, we’re fans,” Scott said.

Glad to see that kind of professionalism in action.

At any rate, this is ugly business, involving prenuptial agreements, fraudulent checks and that famous video in which Giles appeared to strike Olvera (Giles says she fell).

But hey, we need something to read while waiting for the Bonds verdict.

Nationals release Joe Nathan and Matt Albers

Getty Images
1 Comment

At the end of January, the Nationals signed relievers Joe Nathan and Matt Albers. Today the Nationals have released Joe Nathan and Matt Albers.

Nathan, 42, pitched in just ten games last year, totaling only six and a third innings, between the Giants and the Cubs. He missed the entire 2015 season except for one third of an inning on Opening Day. Albers pitched in 58 games for the White Sox last year, posting an unsightly 6.31 ERA He pitched wonderfully in 30 games in 2015 however.

This spring Nathan and Albers pitched in more games than any other Nats relievers. Twelve for Nathan, ten for Albers. And they pitched well, with Nathan giving up five earned runs and Albers none. Apparently, however, there just isn’t room on the roster for those two.

This could be the end of the line for Nathan, a 16-year veteran with 377 career saves.

Six-year old boy reports the Indians want to give Francisco Lindor a seven-year contract

3 Comments

The substance of the report is not shocking. Francisco Lindor is one of baseball’s brightest young stars and the Cleveland Indians would, no doubt, wish to lock him up for an extended period of time. The surprising part is the guy who reported that, yes, the Indians are working to get Lindor a seven-year extension.

That guy: six-year-old Brody Chernoff, son of Indians general manager Mike Chernoff. Brody was invited into the team’s broadcast booth during the ninth inning of their game against the Chicago White Sox. Indians announcer Tom Hamilton asked, no doubt jokingly, if his working on anything interesting. Brody:

“He’s trying to get, um, Lindor to play for seven more years,”

Again, not shocking. It would’ve been way worse if Brody had said “Dad’s working on a three-way deal that’ll send Naquin to an NL team in order to affect a three-way trade that’ll land us Verlander without having to deal directly with a divisional rival.” But I imagine Dad still would’ve preferred he not mention that.

Watch: