One thing the Yankee Universe is great at is coveting those who did something great yesterday. And on cue, Joel Sherman writes a column today talking about how great it would have been if the Yankees could have traded for Dan Haren last year. The Dan Haren who three a one-hitter last night.
But the stuff about landing Haren isn’t as interesting as this bit at the end:
In fact, friends of Andy Pettitte had said that the lefty would have come back this year if the Yankees had been able to sign Lee. So maybe he would have felt the same way if the Yankees had Haren and, especially, Oswalt, who is a pal of Pettitte’s from their time together with the Astros.
So this “friend” of Pettitte is suggesting that all of that stuff Pettitte said at his press conference about “not having the hunger” was baloney? That when he said that that Cliff Lee signing with the Phillies didn’t ultimately impact his decision, he was lying? That, even more so, his comments about how it was the Yankees losing Lee that actually had him closest to coming back because he “felt an obligation” to the Yankees now that they were down a pitcher was just Pettitte blowing smoke?
So I guess what I’m saying is, who ya gonna believe: Pettitte or an anonymous friend of his who contradicts him to a Post columnist?
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will opt out of his contract shortly after the World Series concludes. Cespedes, who earned $17.5 million for the 2016 season, has two years and $47.5 million remaining on his deal which includes an opt-out clause.
That Cespedes plans to opt out isn’t surprising as he’s almost certain to get a better contract entering a weak free agent market. He hit a terrific .280/.354/.530 with 31 home runs and 86 RBI in 543 plate appearances for the Mets this past season.
It remains to be seen how the Mets will deal with potentially losing Cespedes. They can pick up a $13 million club option for Jay Bruce, but he performed terribly after joining the Mets in a trade from the Reds. The Mets could also go after free agents Jose Bautista or Mark Trumbo. Curtis Granderson and Michael Conforto will handle the other two outfield positions.
Major League Baseball announced on Wednesday that former Red Sox DH David Ortiz and Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant won the 2016 Hank Aaron Award in their respective leagues.
Ortiz, 40, flourished in his final season, batting .315/.401/.620 with 38 home runs and 127 RBI in 626 plate appearances during the regular season. His .620 slugging percentage, 1.021 OPS, and 48 doubles led the majors while his 127 RBI led the American League. Ortiz also won the Hank Aaron Award back in 2005.
Bryant, 24, is the likely winner of the National League Most Valuable Player Award as well. He hit .292/.385/.554 with 39 home runs and 102 RBI over 699 plate appearances. He also led the league by scoring 121 runs. Bryant is the first Cub to win the Hank Aaron Award since Aramis Ramirez in 2008.
Last year’s winners in the AL and NL, respectively, were Josh Donaldson and Bryce Harper.