UPDATE: Rafael Furcal won’t need surgery for thumb; out 4-6 weeks

4 Comments

UPDATE: Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said earlier tonight that Rafael Furcal’s broken thumb won’t require surgery, but that he’ll still be sidelined for 4-6 weeks.

8:48 AM: The Dodgers shut the Giants down yesterday, but now it looks like their shortstop is going to be shut down too: Rafael Furcal broke his left thumb sliding into third base in the fifth inning. He stayed in the game until he was pinch-hit for in the seventh, but he said that he knew it was broke as soon as it happened.

Frucal has had a number of injuries in recent years, including a recently-aching wrist, back problems, and hamstring problems.  This one is going to put him on the shelf for six weeks.

Furcal hadn’t started hitting yet — he was five for his first 26 to kick off the season — but this is a pretty big loss for the Dodgers. Last year he hit .300/.366/.460 in 96 games. Jamey Carroll, who has started the season off with a hot bat, will take his place.  Carroll is no spring chicken — he’s my age for cryin’ out loud — so the Dodgers may soon make a move for some infield depth.  In the short term, however, they’ll probably call up Ivan De Jesus, Jr. from Albuquerque.

Report: Royals sign Neftali Feliz

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
1 Comment

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.

Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.

The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.

Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base upon return from DL

Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images
1 Comment

Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.

Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.

In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).