The Angels waited a couple of days to see how shortstop Erick Aybar would respond to the oblique strain that he suffered on Wednesday night. Today, they decided not to wait any longer.
According to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, the Angels have placed Aybar on the 15-day disabled list and recalled reliever Francisco Rodriguez from the Triple-A level.
Aybar was 5-for-12 with three doubles, two RBI and a stolen base before the unfortunate injury. Brandon Wood and Maicer Izturis will continue to split time at shortstop in his absence.
The Halos now have eight players on the disabled list including Aybar: starter Scott Kazmir, reliever Scott Downs, starter Joel Pineiro, first baseman Kendrys Morales, outfielder Reggie Willits, reliever Bobby Cassevah and second baseman Freddy Sandoval.
Third baseman Anthony Rendon is reportedly open to a contract extension with the Nationals, Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post said Sunday. Rendon told reporters that he didn’t know if agent Scott Boras would discuss an extension with the club, contrary to previous reports confirming the two had already started that conversation.
Rendon, 27, is coming off of his best career year to date. He finished the 2017 season batting .301/.403/.533 with 25 home runs and 100 RBI through 605 plate appearances, good enough to earn him sixth place in NL MVP voting. He made his third postseason appearance after helping Nationals through the National League Division Series, and contributed a pair of extra-base hits before the team was eliminated by the Cubs in Game 5.
Rendon is still arbitration-eligible through 2019, but stands to receive a hefty payday once he enters free agency in 2020. While it stands to reason that the Nats would want to lock up a player who contributed a whopping 6.9 fWAR last year, making him the most valuable player on their roster, an extension appeals to Rendon as well. “Why not stay with one organization?” he said Sunday. The 2018 season will be his sixth with the team.