In the wake of the brutal beating of Giants fan Bryan Stow in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium on Opening Day, the Dodgers have hired former Los Angeles police chief William Bratton — who is now a private security consultant — to assess the team’s security policies.
If this increases security at Dodgers games, great. But since the attack on Stow, more and more people — including one Los Angeles country official who said in this report that going to games at Dodger Stadium has “become very, very scary” — have been coming out of the woodwork to talk about how everyone has known that the security situation at Dodgers Stadium has been a mess for years, with fights routinely happening in the stands and parking lots. I was unsure about it myself and asked readers to weigh in earlier this week, and the response from those who go to Dodger Stadium with some degree of frequency was that, yeah, it has been a mess for a while.
Stow is still in a coma. He had a part of his skull removed to reduce swelling. He likely has brain damage. It’s a shame that it took this, given what people seem to have known for a while about the environment at Dodgers games, for the team to review its security.
Dodgers’ left fielder Andrew Toles crushed his first spring training home run on Saturday afternoon. With the bases loaded and a two-run deficit hanging over their heads in the fourth inning, Toles stepped up to the plate against Oakland right-hander Jesse Hahn and unloaded a grand slam on the second pitch he saw.
Third baseman Justin Turner was quick to follow up with a solo jack of his own, bringing the score to a comfortable 7-4 lead by the end of the fourth. Another three-run outburst in the fifth and an eighth-inning RBI single by Austin Barnes raised the final score to 11-6… which, coincidentally, was the same score the Reds used to defeat the Athletics’ second split-squad lineup on Saturday (albeit with a few more RBI walks than grand slams).
Toles, 24, is approaching his sophomore season with the Dodgers in 2017. He slashed .314/.365/.505 with three home runs and an .870 OPS in his first major league season in 2016 and is expected to platoon with the right-handed Franklin Gutierrez in left field this year.
David Price showed “strength improvements” in his elbow on Saturday, but Red Sox’ manager John Farrell still doesn’t think the left-hander will be ready to throw by the start of the season — or for a few weeks afterward. According to ESPN’s Scott Lauber, the 31-year-old might not be ready to debut until May at the earliest.
Price hasn’t thrown off of a mound this spring after experiencing soreness in his left elbow on March 1. Surgery doesn’t appear to be necessary, but the Red Sox are playing it extra safe with their No. 3 starter in hopes that rest and rehabilitation will return him to full health sometime during the 2017 season. For now, Price has been restricted to short games of catch until he’s cleared to resume a more rigorous throwing program. Via MLB.com’s Ian Browne:
[There were] strength improvements to the point of putting the ball back in his hand a little more consistently,” said manager John Farrell. “Today’s the first step for that. A short game of catch. That’s what he’s going through. Not off a mound but just to get the arm moving with a ball in flight, and he will continue in this phase for a period of time. There’s no set distance and volume yet to the throws.
The lefty is coming off of a lackluster 2016 season, during which he delivered a 3.99 ERA, 2.0 BB/9 and 8.9 SO/9 over 230 innings for the Red Sox.