Bud Selig was on SiriusXM with Chris “Mad Dog” Russo yesterday, and he held forth in his usual Budly manner on the topics of the Mets financial situation, that contraction nonsense, realignment, expanded playoffs and the Barry Bonds trial. The highlights:
- The most newsworthy thing of the interview was Bud’s statement that the Mets did not ask major league baseball for a second loan last fall. This contradicts reports that the Mets sought additional assistance from the league after its initial infusion of $25 million. Selig said that no second request was ever made. There have since been reports that the team was working with banks in an attempt to secure additional loans, but according to Bud, they have not approached the league;
- Russo asked Selig if he ordered Wilpon to hire Sandy Alderson as his general manager, which some have suggested. Selig denied ordering such a thing, but said he shared with Fred his “intense feelings about Sandy.”
- Selig on the contraction nonsense that won’t die, most recently the one in Forbes: “I’m not sure where that came from. We have not discussed contraction at all.” Selig was also critical of the Forbes piece about franchise values, wondering where they get their info given how the owners tend to keep it a secret. Between those two topics, it’s safe to say that Selig is not a fan of Forbes.
- Selig was more open to the idea of realignment of some kind, hoping that it gets done before his time as Commissioner is up in 2012, but said it’s not on anyone’s radar on the moment.
- Expanded playoffs, however, are on the agenda and could happen as soon as next year. I agree it’s inevitable. I also hate the idea, but no one asks me about such things.
- Finally, Selig was asked if he’s following the Barry Bonds trial. He said no, and that he considers the steroids stuff to be a thing of the past:
I’m more concerned with now and what’s gone on the last five years. I’m damn proud of where we are. We’ve cleaned up the sport, banned amphetamines, by the way. And so, Chris, we’re in a position where, you know, I’m testing for HGH in the minor leagues. We have the severest penalties of any sport. I had George Mitchell do all that for me but now we’ve moved on and there’s just nothing more to say.”
And thus spake the Commissioner.
From Jon Heyman of CBS Sports comes word that the Orioles “like” free agent starter Yovani Gallardo and “have reached out to him” to gauge his interest in coming to Baltimore and what that might cost.
Gallardo rejected a one-year, $15.8 million qualifying offer from the Rangers earlier this month and so his free agency is tied to draft pick compensation, but that shouldn’t hurt his bottom line all that much.
The 29-year-old right-hander posted a solid 3.42 ERA in 184 1/3 innings (33 starts) this past season for Texas and he pitched well in his one ALDS start.
Heyman reported a few weeks ago that the Diamondbacks are interested, and the Cubs, Blue Jays, and Dodgers were tied to him just ahead of the July 31 trade deadline.
David Price has expressed a desire to return to Toronto, where he finished out the 2015 season, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal writes Wednesday that the Blue Jays “are not expected to be a major factor in his free agency.”
The teams that should be considered serious suitors, per Rosenthal, are the Cubs, Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers, and Red Sox — all deep-pocketed teams looking to contend in 2016. Money is apparently the issue for the Blue Jays, who are currently owned by Rogers Communications.
Price registered an outstanding 2.45 ERA, 1.076 WHIP, and 225/47 K/BB ratio in 220 1/3 innings (32 starts) this past season between the Tigers and Jays, finishing second in the American League Cy Young Award race behind Dallas Keuchel of the Astros.
The 30-year-old left-hander is probably looking for a six- or seven-year contract worth more than $25 million per season. He is represented by agent Bo McKinnis.
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald wrote three weeks ago that the Marlins were probably going to explore an extension this winter with second baseman Dee Gordon. And it sounds like those talks are underway.
Via beat writer Joe Frisaro of MLB.com:
As a guest on MLB Network’s “Hot Stove” show Wednesday morning, Gordon confirmed his camp has been in talks with the Marlins regarding a multiyear deal. A source told MLB.com that the discussions are preliminary and have just recently started.
“My agent is doing the talking,” Gordon said on the show. “They’re just keeping me in the loop. I think it’s going pretty well right now. We’ll see how that goes. I’m just playing the waiting game. We’re going to do the right thing.”
The 27-year-old carries three more seasons of salary arbitration, so there’s no real rush to get something done before next spring. Gordon carries quite a bit of leverage after posting a career-best .333/.359/.418 slash line in 145 games this past season for the Fish. He led all major leaguers in hits (205) and stolen bases (58).
Bud Norris has found a home for his attempt at a bounceback season, signing a one-year deal with the Braves. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says it’s worth $2.5 million, which is a huge cut from his $8.8 million salary this year.
Norris had established himself as a solid mid-rotation starter from 2009-2014, but had a brutal 2015 season split between the Orioles and Padres with a 6.72 ERA in 83 innings and a late-season move to the bullpen.
In announcing the signing the Braves referred to Norris as a starting pitcher, so joining the rotation for a rebuilding team gives him a chance to get his career back on track with an eye on hitting the open market as a free agent again next offseason. And if he fares well, the Braves could use him to add a prospect or two at the trade deadline.