Rafael Soriano drew the ire of Yankees beat writers last night after he left the clubhouse without talking to them about his poor outing against the Twins, with several media members taking him to task publicly.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com tweeted that Soriano apologized to reporters this afternoon:
Soriano apologizes for not speaking to media. Says he was upset for CC. Girardi says not an issue in clubhouse. Soriano said he didn’t feel like he had his balance on the mound. He said his mom called from the DR asking if it was too cold for him.
That qualifies as doing the right thing, but it won’t matter one bit if he does it again and there are still 157 games to go. Beyond that, as Craig wrote this morning the media members are hardly the only people with a reason to be upset at Soriano, as his failing to speak to reporters put his teammates in the position of answering for him.
Soriano is a good enough pitcher that he can make this entire thing largely a moot point by simply making his poor outings few and far between, but he’s already learning that media coverage is a whole lot different in New York than it was in Tampa Bay, especially after signing a $35 million contract.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.