Ubaldo Jimenez got off to just about the best start you could ever ask for last season, giving up a grand total of five runs over his first seven starts. However, in yesterday’s 7-6 loss to the Diamondbacks, it took Jimenez just six innings to give up five runs.
Bad starts happen, of course, but the most troubling part about Jimenez’s performance was the general lack of velocity and movement on his pitches. According to Brooks Baseball, the 26-year-old right-hander topped out at 95.1 mph and averaged 93.36 mph yesterday, more than a couple ticks down from his 96.1 mph average from last season. After averaging 8.69 K/9 last season, Jimenez struck out just one batter yesterday. The fewest he struck out last year in a start was two. And while it’s not a major part of his arsenal, Jimenez threw just four curveballs in the entire game.
I’m not a scout or anything — just a fan here — but even Jimenez admitted to Thomas Harding of MLB.com that he “didn’t have anything working.”
So, what’s going on here? It’s probably a bit too soon to panic, but Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero had some interesting comments following the extra-inning victory.
“I noticed when he threw me a couple of fastballs, it was kind of weird,” said Montero, who doubled in the second inning and has homered on three of his five career hits against Jimenez. “I don’t know, honestly. I don’t think he was throwing that hard. I wonder if he’s all right.”
It turns out he wasn’t completely himself. According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Rockies pitching coach Bob Apodaca confirmed that Jimenez cut his finger during the team’s open workout Thursday. Both Jimenez and Apodaca downplayed the injury following the game and he’s still expected to make his next start. Hopefully this is just a situation where he just couldn’t get his usual grip on the baseball. The Rockies need Jimenez to be himself in order to have a legitimate shot to win the NL West.
Former Tigers infielder Casey McGehee has reportedly signed a one-year deal with the Yomiuri Giants of Nippon Professional Baseball, according to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.
It’s the fourth move the corner infielder has made in the last two seasons after seeing short-term stints with the Marlins, Giants and Tigers. He signed a minor league deal with the Tigers prior to the 2016 season, providing the club with some infield depth behind 24-year-old Nick Castellanos. When Castellanos hit the disabled list in August with a broken hand, McGehee was recalled from Triple-A Toledo for a 30-game stint and slashed .228/.260/.239 with one extra-base hit in 96 PA. His career batting line (.258/.317/.384 over eight seasons) isn’t too shabby, but his age and a long history of knee injuries puts a damper on his potential.
McGehee last appeared in the NPB circuit in 2013, when he signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles. He spent the bulk of his season at the hot corner, batting an impressive .292/.396/.515 with 28 homers in 590 PA and appearing in the Eagles’ first and only championship run to date.
The deal comes with a club option for 2018, Rosenthal reports, though no figure has been specified.
Free agent left-hander Rich Hill is rumored to be entertaining a three-year, $40+ million offer from the Dodgers, reports Peter Gammons. The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo corroborated the report, adding that Hill could receive somewhere between $46 and $48 million from his former team.
Hill, 36, pitched to a 2.12 ERA and 3.91 FIP in back-to-back stints with the Athletics and Dodgers in 2016. While a chronic case of blisters on his pitching hand limited the frequency of his starts, he still figures to be one of the most productive and noteworthy starting pitchers on the market this winter.
The Orioles, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Astros have all been mentioned as potential suitors for the left-hander’s services, though Orioles’ GM Dan Duquette said the club has yet to make a play for Hill and ESPN’s Jim Bowden pointed out that the Red Sox are less involved in trade talks than other interested parties.