I get why the Yankees want to charge so much to park at a game — encouraging the use of mass transit is a good thing — but I don’t get why they don’t wish to encourage mass communications as well. Specifically, why they have continued their policy of not allowing iPads, e-readers and the like into the ballpark. Jason at IIATMS has a detailed explanation and takedown of the policy here, noting the utter incoherence of the Yankees position on such devices.
I don’t know that such appeals will help because the Yankees tend to be more resistant to the complaints of cranky fans than other trams. But I do wonder if commerce may change their tune. As in, Major League Baseball continuing its expansion into technology and social media, finding business partners in and creating business opportunities with the purveyors of handheld devices. At some point — if we aren’t there already — the easiest way for fans to vote for All-Stars, buy concessions, enter contests and do all manner of other things in the ballpark will be to do so via handhelds, and absent a change, that will leave Yankees fans out in the cold.
Maybe phones will always be the number one choice for that sort of thing — and Yankee Stadium’s policies do not ban smart phones even though they would seem to present the same “risks” the Yankees think iPads do — but handheld use will only increase and, as it does, the Yankees’ policy will be increasingly annoying and out of touch.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.