When it was learned that the Mets took a loan from Major League Baseball, it was characterized by some as an instance of a team merely addressing a short term liquidity problem during those cold dark days between seasons. Seems it was a bit more than that. The New York Times:
The Mets, long one of baseball’s most highly valued franchises, have lost millions of dollars in recent years, including nearly $50 million in 2010, according to two people briefed on the team’s finances … the club’s falloff in revenue was the largest year-to-year decline for any major league team in recent years … overall revenue slid by more than $60 million
Though team financial data is a closely-guarded secret, that’s thought to be the largest slide in revenue since the 1998 Florida Marlins, reeling from their World Series winning roster being torn to shreds, slid from fifth to 13th in attendance in the National League. In the past three seasons the Mets have slid from first to fifth to eighth in attendance. I would assume that their projections of what life would be like upon moving in to Citi Field didn’t anticipate that.
But hey: Castillo and Perez are gone, and I was led to believe that once that happened, everything would be OK!
Astros center fielder Carlos Gomez sat out the final series of the regular season in order to rest a strained left intercostal muscle, but there was good news coming out of a workout today in advance of Tuesday’s Wild Card game vs. the Yankees.
This has been a lingering issue for Gomez, who missed 13 straight games with the injury last month. He aggravated the strain on a throw to home plate last Wednesday and was forced to sit while the Astros fought to keep their season alive. Astros manager A.J. Hinch told reporters last week that Gomez’s injury would typically take 45-50 days to recover from, so it’s fair to wonder how productive he can be during the postseason.
Gomez mostly struggled after coming over from the Brewers at the trade deadline, batting .242 with four home runs and a .670 OPS over 41 games.
Nathan Eovaldi hasn’t pitched in a month due to right elbow inflammation, but he told Chad Jennings of the Journal News today that he expects to pitch out of the bullpen if the Yankees advance to the ALDS against the Royals.
Eovaldi was originally expected to throw a 35-pitch bullpen session today, but the Yankees moved up his timetable after the news that CC Sabathia was checking into alcohol rehab. Instead, he threw 10 pitches in a bullpen session before facing hitters for the first time since his injury.
There isn’t enough time for Eovaldi to get stretched out to start during the ALDS, but he could still play an important role for the Yankees, especially with Adam Warren looking like the most likely option to replace Sabathia in the rotation.