Vicente Padilla underwent surgery late last month to release a nerve entrapped in his right forearm. The Dodgers originally estimated that he could resume throwing 3-4 weeks after surgery, placing his return somewhere around late April or early May, but it appears that he is progressing faster than most anticipated.
According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, Padilla threw his first bullpen session yesterday since undergoing the surgery, after which Dodgers manager Don Mattingly wouldn’t officially rule him out for the start of the season.
“I don’t know if he’s ahead or behind,” Mattingly said, sidestepping the issue. “There was no timetable because there is no history of the injury. [Being disabled] is still up in the air. He’s progressing nicely. But he hasn’t been out there [in a game], and to be ready by [March] 31st and comfortable enough, it’s hard to say.”
Padilla returned to the Dodgers this winter on a one-year, $2 million contract and is expected to serve as a long reliever and insurance for the starting rotation. He’s probably a longshot for Opening Day at this point, but it’s possible the Dodgers could turn to him if they need a substitute fifth starter for Jon Garland on April 12. If not, John Ely or Tim Redding would likely get the assignment.
Cardinals shortstop Aledmys Diaz was childhood friends with Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, so it was expected when Diaz took time away from the team on Monday to visit Fernandez’s family in Miami. They grew up on the same street in Cuba and played for the same youth baseball team and both would ultimately wind up playing Major League Baseball in the United States.
In the bottom of the fourth inning of Tuesday night’s game against the Reds, Diaz hit a 2-1 Robert Stephenson fastball out to left-center field for a no-doubt grand slam. Teammate Yadier Molina gave Diaz a tight hug as he crossed home plate.
Before Tuesday’s game, Diaz said that the best way to honor Fernandez was to play with his passion, as MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch reports. Diaz said, “I only play for [Fernandez’s] family right now.”
Here’s the video.
The Red Sox would have clinched the AL East if one of two things happened on Tuesday night: the Red Sox themselves beat the Yankees, or the Orioles defeated the Blue Jays. Neither happened.
The Jays soundly took down the Orioles 5-1 behind six strong innings from Aaron Sanchez. Josh Donaldson went 2-for-2 with a two-run home run and a pair of walks and leadoff batter Ezequiel Carrera went 2-for-3 with a solo homer, an RBI single, a walk, and three runs scored.
Meanwhile, at Yankee Stadium, the Yankees outlasted the Red Sox for a 6-4 win, responding to both two-run innings the Sox had in the sixth and seventh with a run in the sixth and two in the seventh. Gary Sanchez hit his 20th homer of the season. Didi Gregorius and Tyler Austin also contributed dingers. Starter Luis Cessa pitched well, limiting the Sox to two runs over six innings on five hits and a walk with two strikeouts. Red Sox starter David Price struggled, yielding six runs in 6 1/3 innings. Yankees reliever Tyler Clippard got into trouble in the ninth inning but was able to wiggle out of trouble to finish out the game.
Once again, the Red Sox will be able to clinch the AL East on Wednesday with a win over the Yankees or a Blue Jays loss to the Orioles.