Joe Torre

Joe Torre to attend Yankees Old-Timers Day

9 Comments

Jim Bouton wrote a tell-all book that angered the Yankees. They kept him away from Old Timers Day for close to 30 years and, if it wasn’t for an emotional plea in the New York Times by one of his sons following the tragic death of Bouton’s daughter, they may not have even invited him back when they did.

The team is much better about letting bygones be bygones now, because Joe Torre wrote a tell-all book that angered the Yankees too, and only a couple short years later Torre will be back in pinstripes:

Joe Torre is headed back to the Bronx. No, the man who led the Yankees to four World Series titles isn’t planning a return to managing, but he revealed Thursday that he will attend his first Old-Timers’ Day on June 26 at Yankee Stadium.

“I may be letting the cat out of the bag, but I was invited back for Old-Timers’ Day,” said Torre, who stopped by Steinbrenner Field Thursday as part of his spring training tour in his new role as MLB’s executive VP for baseball operations. “I’m planning on going.”

In other news, I wasn’t aware that former managers attended Old Timers Day. Given the Yankees pre-Torre experience with turnover, that could make for a really crowded dugout.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.