According to the Associated Press, MLS commissioner Don Garber believes the Wilpons would make “great” owners of the league’s 20th franchise, despite their current financial and legal troubles.
“The success of our league is the core values of our ownership group and … I believe the Wilpons fit very well with our owners in terms of who they are and their values and their ethics,” Garber said. “I really hope they get through their issues quickly. I don’t believe the full story has been told, and I am very supportive of them.”
The Wilpons have been mentioned as potential MLS owners for a while now, as the league attempts to reboot the Cosmos and give the Red Bulls a rival in the New York market.
Mets executive vice president Dave Howard doesn’t deny the Wilpons’ interest, but tells Adam Rubin of ESPN New York it’s all in “the exploratory phase.” That’s a fancy way of saying we have no money.
Garber won’t rule out other investors or putting the 20th franchise in another market, but the pull to the Wilpons is understandable. There’s been talk in the past about potentially building a soccer stadium in the vacant Citi Field parking lot.
The Cubs soundly defeated the Cardinals on Monday night, 10-2, sending their magic number down to one. They will try to clinch the NL Central on Tuesday with another win against the Cardinals. Alternatively, if they lose, they can still clinch if the Brewers also lose on Tuesday.
The Cubs, of course, won the Central last year en route to winning their first World Series since 1908. It wasn’t nearly as easy this year as the club was below .500 entering June and was exactly at .500 entering July. A 16-8 July, 17-12 August, and 15-8 September have helped put the Cubs back in position to return to the postseason.
Not to be forgotten, the Cardinals were eliminated from NL Central contention with Monday’s loss. Now they have their sights set on the second NL Wild Card slot and currently trail the Rockies in that race.
The matchups for Tuesday’s action:
Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Padres pitcher Carter Capps will undergo surgery this offseason to address thoracic outlet syndrome, which doctors believe caused the right-hander’s blood clots. The Padres hope to have him ready by spring training next year.
Capps, 27, underwent Tommy John surgery last year and didn’t debut this season until August 7. He made 11 relief appearances, yielding nine runs on 12 hits and two walks with seven strikeouts in 12 1/3 innings. He went back on the DL on September 12 due to the blood clot issue.
The Padres acquired Capps from the Marlins last July in the Andrew Cashner trade which ended up having a lot of moving parts. Capps will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility this offseason. It’s quite possible the Padres choose to non-tender him.