UPDATE: As I suspected, the Yankees deny that they ever offered Chapman a thing. Olney quotes Brian Cashman: “We never made an offer… Never.”
6:16 AM: This tweet from SI’s Melissa Segura is interesting:
The FL lawsuit v. Hendricks/Fernandez says Yankees made “offer to Chapman valued at more than $54 million” Chap signed 6yr/$30.25 mil w Reds
The only lawsuit of which I was aware against the Hendricks Brothers regarding Aroldis Chapman was the one filed by Chapman’s original agent, Edwin Mejia and his agency Athletes Premier International alleging, basically, that the Hendricks stole Chapman as a client. That was filed in Massachusetts, however, and as far as I know had been settled.
It’s possible that this is an offshoot of that first suit. The actual nominal agent of Chapman was Rodney Fernandez, the Fernandez referenced in the Segura tweet. He was the Hendricks employee who was just charged with stealing money from Kendry Morales. He lives in Florida, so he could have been sued there in his individual capacity.
But regardless of the specific nature of the suit, I’m skeptical of that $54 million offer from the Yankees. It’s substantially higher than that which Chapman ultimately signed for and it makes little sense that he’d leave that kind of money on the table no matter who his agent was. At the same time, in any lawsuit against Hendricks/Fernandez involving representation of Chapman an incentive exists to make the money Chapman could have received,were it not for the Hendricks’ bad acts, seem as high as possible, because the plaintiff is looking for a chunk of the deal.
I suspect we’ll hear more of this soon. It would not surprise me at all if the next thing we hear is a denial from someone with knowledge of the Yankees’ operations that there ever was a real offer for Chapman as high as $54 million and that — shockingly — a plaintiff in a lawsuit is overstating the amount of his losses in his complaint.
Nationals’ outfielder Adam Eaton was carried off the field after stumbling over first base on Friday night. In the ninth inning of the Nationals’ 7-5 loss to the Mets, Eaton appeared to catch his ankle on the bag as he ran out an infield single, suffering a leg injury on the fall. He was unable to put pressure on his left leg after the play and required assistance by two of the Nationals’ athletic trainers as he exited the field.
Eaton is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Saturday, but Nationals’ manager Dusty Baker told reporters that it “doesn’t look too good.” It’s the first significant leg injury the outfielder has sustained since 2014, when he went on the 15-day disabled list with a hamstring strain. He’ll likely be replaced by Michael Taylor in center field for the next couple of games, though that could be a temporary fix as the Nationals seek a better solution during Eaton’s recovery process.
It’s been just over a week since Giants’ left-hander Madison Bumgarner got a serious scare after a nasty dirt bike accident. He escaped with bruised ribs and a Grade 2 strain of his left shoulder AC joint, but there was some speculation that the injuries would cause a significant, if not permanent, setback in the southpaw’s career. Thankfully, things aren’t looking quite so bleak today. Not only will Bumgarner not require surgery, but he could return as soon as the week following the All-Star break, the Giants said Friday.
Of course, that timeline is wholly dependent on how smoothly the recovery process goes, so nothing is set in stone yet. NBC Sports Bay Area’s Alex Pavlovic estimates 2-3 months of rest and rehab, including “two months before he can get back on the mound and then another three to four weeks of throwing and rehab starts before he’s big league-ready.” It’s a long and laborious schedule, but still looks much better than any surgical alternative.
Prior to the accident, Bumgarner was working on a solid start to the 2017 season. He maintained a 3.00 ERA, 1.3 BB/9 and 9.3 SO/9 through 27 innings with the club, though his average 1.75 runs of support per start fed into an 0-3 record.