Carlos Beltran has not been shut down

Leave a comment

The Mets may have a new front office regime and a new manager, but their communication skills clearly haven’t improved from the Omar Minaya era.

New general manager Sandy Alderson told Joel Sherman of the New York Post on Tuesday that outfielder Carlos Beltran would be “shut down” for at least 4-5 days due to tendinitis in his left knee.

But he wasn’t shut down. Not at all, actually.

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Beltran went through a pretty normal spring workout on Wednesday in camp and told Mets skipper Terry Collins that his knee is already beginning to feel much better:

“He threw,” Collins informed ESPN New York. “He took some swings in the cage And he said his leg felt a lot better. He showed me a couple of things that he couldn’t do yesterday that he could do today. It was a pretty good day. As I told him, I’m looking forward to probably early next week to hopefully get him back in there.”

Perhaps Alderson meant that Beltran had been shut down from playing in Grapefruit League games, not shut down altogether. Either way, it sounds like the newly-named Mets right fielder is on the right track toward recovery from his left knee issues. He is still hoping to be ready for Opening Day.

Report: Twins sign Erick Aybar to minor-league deal

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Twins have reportedly signed free agent shortstop Erick Aybar to a minor-league deal, LaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune reported Friday. FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman adds that the deal comes with a potential $1.25 million if Aybar reaches the majors, with additional incentives based on plate appearances. He’ll be able to opt out on March 27. The team has yet to confirm the signing.

Aybar, 34, is now four years removed from his career year in 2014. He’s been in a state of steady decline since then, slashing just .234/.300/.348 with seven home runs and 11 stolen bases over 370 plate appearances for the Padres in 2017. His poor performance wasn’t helped by a fractured left foot, either, which cost him almost six weeks on the disabled list.

Still, the Twins see something promising in the veteran infielder, and reportedly intend to use him as another utility option this spring. Per Neal, Aybar will join fellow backup infielders Eduardo Escobar and Ehire Adrianza and may even (temporarily) take over for Miguel Sano at third base if Sano isn’t able to shape up for the role by Opening Day.