Orioles manager Buck Showalter told reporters this afternoon that Derrek Lee’s spring training debut “is not imminent” and revealed that the veteran first baseman will have his sore right wrist examined by a specialist.
After struggling for much of last season Lee underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb in November and had to settle for a one-year deal as a free agent, but according to Showalter the wrist soreness is unrelated.
Here’s more of what Showalter told Jeff Zriebec of the Baltimore Sun:
I don’t want to say tendonitis until they diagnose it. He’s going to see a specialist in Sarasota just to make sure we know what we are dealing with. I really like the fact that the actual surgery and all that feels real good. This is something a little different. You have something that inactive that long, all of a sudden you start doing other things, sometimes it kind of flares up a little bit. I think we will have a better idea at the end of the day what we are dealing with.
After a miserable first two-thirds of the season Lee rebounded to hit .287 with an .849 OPS in 39 games following a trade to the Braves, basically matching his career numbers, but two injuries to the same hand could make it tough for him to maintain that production for an entire season at age 35.
The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.
Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.
Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.
MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”
As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.
Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”