Coco Crisp was being followed by “secret service” at time of DUI arrest

17 Comments

TMZ and the Arizona Republic have a more details on Coco Crisp’s DUI arrest earlier this week, including that the police report notes he answered “secret service” when asked if he knew who was driving the other car on the road with him that also pulled over when the sirens flashed.

Crisp told police “there were some issues with some people so the secret service was providing security.” Turns out they were actually just a private, personal security force, in which case he ought to ask for a refund on whatever he paid them after they allowed him to get in his car and drive with a blood-alcohol level of .13, which is well over the legal limit of .08 in Arizona.

It’s unclear why Crisp would need private security, but according to police two men in a Dodge pickup truck followed Crisp at 2:15 a.m., staying about six car lengths behind his Rolls Royce until pulling over alongside him during the traffic stop. Police said Crisp’s car smelled of alcohol and he was cited for driving with an expired license in addition to the DUI.

Report: Orioles interested in Lance Lynn

Getty Images
1 Comment

The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.

Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.

Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.