Carl Crawford apparently had a very emotional offseason.
Earlier this week Crawford said that he was “creeped out” by the Red Sox admitting that they followed him both on and off the field last year in preparation for potentially signing him as a free agent and yesterday he told Jon Heyman of SI.com that he felt the Angels’ method of pursuing him as a free agent “was weird.”
Crawford was linked to the Angels more than any other suitor at the beginning of the offseason, but the team’s reported six-year, $108 million offer (with a seventh-year option) was $34 million less than he ended up getting from the Red Sox and $18 million less than fellow free agent outfielder Jayson Werth got from the Nationals.
Here’s more from Crawford:
They obviously didn’t want me that bad because I’m a Red Sox. I don’t know what happened. It was weird. I heard they said my contract was too much. Then they paid more [per year] to Vernon Wells. I didn’t understand that. [Werth] is 31 and I’m 29. It didn’t make sense to me, either. And this is why I’m a Red Sox.
All of which is interesting, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the Angels screwed up by not out-bidding the Red Sox for Crawford. The notion that he’s not worth a seven-year, $142 million commitment is hardly outlandish, so while the Angels’ method of pursuing Crawford may have seemed odd and their final offer wasn’t particularly competitive with the contract he ended up signing that doesn’t mean they made a mistake (later deciding to take on Vernon Wells’ contract was a pretty clear mistake, but that’s a mostly separate decision).
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners are among the teams that have contacted the Reds about outfielder Jay Bruce. The Mariners enter play Wednesday 51-48, six games out of first place in the AL West and 4.5 games out of the second AL Wild Card slot. Adding an impact bat like Bruce could help in their effort to reach the postseason.
Norichika Aoki and Seth Smith have handled the bulk of the playing time in left field. While Smith has hit well, Aoki has not. Bruce came into Wednesday’s game against the Giants batting .271/.324/.567 with 24 home runs and a league-best 78 RBI.
Bruce can become a free agent after the season if his controlling team declines his $13 million club option for the 2017 season by paying him a $1 million buyout. If he’s traded mid-season, his new team won’t be able to make him a qualifying offer, so the club option may be more enticing than it looks at first glance.
A third-inning two-run home run by Adam Rosales off of R.A. Dickey put the Padres up 2-0, but it also helped the Padres tie a National League record. The Padres have homered in 25 consecutive games, matching the 1998 Braves, the 1994 Tigers, and the 1941 Yankees. The major league record is 27, set by the 2002 Rangers.
The Padres hit three in total on Wednesday in an 8-4 victory against the Blue Jays. One of those dingers was an eighth-inning solo shot by rookie Alex Dickerson, who has now homered in four consecutive games himself. The one he hit on Monday is worth watching, as it got into the upper deck at the Rogers Centre.
As the Padres recently traded Melvin Upton, Jr. to the Jays, Dickerson is likely going to see regular playing time. That’s especially true if he keeps hitting like this.