The prosecution doesn’t intend to give up their case on Alfredo Simon

Leave a comment

Contrary to multiple reports yesterday which indicated that Alfredo Simon was about to be cleared in the New Year’s Eve shooting death of Michael Esteban Castillo Almonte in the Dominican Republic, prosecutor Victor Mueses told Enrique Rojas of ESPNdeportes.com earlier today that Simon isn’t going anywhere.

“Nothing has happened to make us change our position. This is a case for public action and we do not plan to dismiss the lawsuit,” added Mueses.

A source related to the case tells Rojas that that Simon agreed to pay $70,000 to the families of the Castillo brothers in order to drop the investigation, but Mueses says a settlement would “in no way affect our case.”

While Simon’s agent Phil Isaac of the Para Sports Group told MASNSports.com yesterday that a ballistics test cleared Simon, Mueses says they hope to have the results soon. It’s hard to believe that these recent reports had their information so wrong, but who the heck knows where this case is headed next.

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
5 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.