UPDATE: Call off the retirement party: Orlando Cabrera told the U.S. media today that the report in the Colombian newspaper was wrong and that he’s not going to retire after 2011. And then — as if he was targeting me specifically — he said “I feel I can play for many years. I feel I’m in the best shape of my life. I feel awesome. I don’t feel old at all.”
Now what are we gonna do with this gold watch?
12:39 PM: Via MLB Trade Rumors comes news that Orlando Cabrera told a Colombian newspaper that he doesn’t intend to play beyond the 2011 season.
Which may be academic given how hard it was for him to find a job this winter. Unless he were to make himself over into a hot-hitting super-sub in Cleveland, my guess is that the rest of the league would set his plans about playing after this year, not Cabrera himself.
But hey, at least he gets the Dr. J-style retirement tour.
Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets have discussed a trade involving starter Matt Harvey with at least two teams. Apparently, the Mets were even willing to move Harvey for a reliever.
The Mets tendered Harvey a contract on December 1. He’s entering his third and final year of arbitration eligibility and will likely see a slight bump from last season’s salary of $5.125 million. As a result, there was some thought going into late November that the Mets would non-tender Harvey.
Harvey, 28, made 18 starts and one relief appearance last year and had horrendous results. He put up a 6.70 ERA with a 67/47 K/BB ratio in 92 2/3 innings. Between his performance, his impending free agency, and his injury history, the Mets aren’t likely to get much back in return for Harvey. Even expecting a reliever in return may be too lofty.
Along with bullpen help, the Mets also need help at second base, first base, and the outfield. They don’t have many resources with which to address those needs. Ackert described the Mets’ resources as “a very limited stash of prospects” and “limited payroll space.”