Remember all that junk Friday about how Mets manager Terry Collins was upset at Luis Castillo for not showing up to spring training earlier than the rest of the club’s positional players?
Yeah, that should probably be put to rest now.
Castillo revealed Sunday in Mets camp that he was being held up due to a private family matter.
His 50-year-old brother was undergoing serious emergency surgery. The second baseman told ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin that he would have raised the issue earlier had he known what kind of backlash he would be getting for showing up Saturday, the first day that positional players were required to report.
“I know my situation here, and I try to be practice baseball,” Castillo said. “That’s not easy, because my brother is my family.”
Either way, it’s not that big of a deal. If Castillo isn’t going to make the Mets’ Opening Day roster, it will have nothing to do with his arrival date. Plenty of lazy players get to camp early and then get no better from February to March. It’s up to the 35-year-old Castillo to now put on a show and prove that he is worthy of regular looks at second base under the Metropolitans” new regime.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.
Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.
The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.
Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.
Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.
In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).